Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac can't find Canon 8150 printer

Am using iMac with OS X 10.7.2. Whatever I try it can't find my new Canon Pixma MG8150 wirelessly.

Using USB there's no problem & it prints fine.

Both are definitely connected to the same router/access point wirelessly (confirmed by checking the router web page).

The IP address for the printer is as per that for the mac & the router (except the printer IP ends in the digit 8, the mac ends in 4 and the router ends in 1).

Both printer & mac have same subnet mask and same default gateway (= router IP address).

I have the latest software including Canon drivers (10.51.2.0).

Also have the latest Canon IJ network tool (3.1.2)

When I try to add a printer via system preferences>print & scan>add printer>default, nothing shows up (unless the USB is in and then it shows "Canon MG8100 series/USB").

When I try to connect to the printer via the Canon Solution Menu EX>Canon IJ network tool selecting 'Use printer on the network', it can't find any printers (unless the USB connection is used). Even if I then add the IP address manually, it can't complete the connection.

I've tried everything I can think of and am now absolutely despairing

(NB this occurs when no firewall is used. Also I have switched on LPR service advertising on the printer and that didn't help).

If anyone can help, I'd be hugely grateful.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 12:44 PM

19 replies

Jan 8, 2012 1:09 PM in response to Muzza6768

The MG series can advertise itself on a wireless network using Bonjour, as well as the proprietary "canonijnetwork". While the latter requires the Canon driver to be installed on the Mac, the Bonjour connection will be available without any software being correctly installed, so I would at least expect that you could see the MG8150 showing as "Bonjour Multifunction" in the Kind column of the Default Add Printer view. Since you are not seeing this then open Safari, click the Bookmarks icon and select Bonjour in the left sidebar. The MG should be listed in the right pane if Bonjour is working correctly. Do you see it?

Jan 8, 2012 3:37 PM in response to PAHU

Many thanks for the reply PAHU

From the left sidebar (under "Collections") I selected Bonjour which took me to an 'About Bonjour' webpage.

On the Right, this just has two menus ("software updates" and below "Repair").

[The Left Menus were "Browse Support" and "Related products" while the main central column of the page had 3 sections: "Bonjour", "Get Started"/"Troubleshooting" and "User Discussions"]

I don't see the printer listed anywhere. Am I in the right place where I would see it listed?

Jan 8, 2012 5:28 PM in response to Muzza6768

If the MG can be seen by the Mac then it should appear underneath the About Bonjour bookmark, as shown in the image below.

User uploaded file

You mention enabling the LPR advertising service. Did you do this via the web page of the MG8150 or via the touch panel of the printer? If you did it via the web page, then basically the above procedure is just another way of accessing the printer's web page, but instead of typing the printers IP address you use Bonjour to find the printer on the network.

Either way, the next step would be to check that Bonjour and wifi is enabled in the MG. Using the touch panel;

1. Scroll down to page 3/3 and select Setup.
  2. Scroll across to Device Settings and press OK.
  3. Scroll down to LAN settings and press OK.
  4. Scroll down to Other Settings and press OK
  5. Scroll down to Bonjour and press OK
  6. With Enable/Disable Bonjour highlighted, press OK and ensure this shows Enabled. If it does, press OK again just for good measure.
  7. Still in service mode, press the Back arrow to show LAN Settings > Confirm LAN Settings and press OK
  8. With WLAN setting list highlighted, press OK. This will show if the wireless network connection is active and the access point it is connected to, and further down the list the Bonjour service name used by the printer will be shown.
  9. If all appears to be correct with the wifi setup press the Home button to exit.

Jan 8, 2012 11:19 PM in response to PAHU

The MG can't be seen by the Mac for some reason.

Where you have Bookmark>About Bonjour>Various printers, I have Collections>Bonjour in the left sidebar with no printer listed below.

When I enabled the LPR advertising service I did it from the printer touch panel.

Following your above instructions:

1. Bonjour was already enabled (but I pressed OK for good measure)
  2. On the WLAN setting list, the connection is active, the access point is connected to and the printer's Bonjour service name is shown (as has been the case when I have tried this before)

I'm completely stumped how everything can seem to be set up fine but the mac can't see the MG.

Jan 8, 2012 11:38 PM in response to Muzza6768

Well either Bonjour is being blocked or is not running on your Mac.

You can check if it is running by opening Activity Monitor, changing the processes from "My Processes" to "All Processes" and look for the process "mDNSResponder". If it is not present then you can start it my opening Terminal and typing;

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

If it is present then it may be blocked by your router. MDNS uses UDP on port 5353.

Jan 9, 2012 12:14 AM in response to PAHU

The process mDNSResponder was indeed listed on the Activity Monitor.

You say it may be blocked by my router and that it uses UDP on port 5353.

How do I check this?

On my router webpage, I can see options for Port Blocking, Port Forwarding and Port Triggering - none of which have any services or applications listed (Equally nothing is listed for MAC filtering or IP filtering). What should I check or change?

Many thanks

Jan 9, 2012 12:51 AM in response to Muzza6768

Ahh. Well then if you cannot open the printers web page then it is not a Bonjour issue but a network issue.

Open Network Utility, select Ping and enter the IP address of the MG. Then set the number of pings to 4 and then press the Ping button. Do you get a response?

And if you do get a response, try turning off the printer and then ping that same IP address again. Does this get a response? (It shouldn't unless some other device on your network is using the same IP address).

Jan 9, 2012 4:43 PM in response to PAHU

On the WLAN setting list on the 8150 it is showing:

Connection:Active

SSID: Correctname

Communication Mode: Infrastructure

Channel:11

Wireless LAN Security: WPA-PSK (TKIP)

IP Address: NNN.XXX.0.8 (where NNN & XXX are specific 3 digit numbers)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: NNN.XXX.0.1

followed by sensible looking MAC address, Printer Name & Bonjour Service Name.

On the mac, I get:

(via System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP)

Configure IPV4: Using DHCP

IPV4 Address: NNN.XXX.0.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: NNN.XXX.0.1

When I go to the router web page I can see both of these sets of information.

Jan 9, 2012 4:56 PM in response to Muzza6768

Thanks for that. It certainly looks correct and thus the lack of a response to the ping would suggest a fault in the printer. I would now power off the MG via the button on the top and once it has shut down, unplug the power cord for several minutes. With that time elapsed, plug the power back in and turn it on. Wait till the blue WiFi LED turns on and then try the ping again (after you check that the printer has the same IP address). And don't forget to cross your fingers 😉

Jan 9, 2012 6:05 PM in response to Muzza6768

Muzza6768 wrote:

Does this mean that I've got a faulty printer?

It does appear to be the case, assuming that we have not missed something obvious. A last suggestion would be to go to LAN Settings and select Reset LAN Settings. With the machine set back to factory defaults you could then run through the wireless setup again, selecting the Easy Setup option to connect the MG back to your wireless access point.

Mac can't find Canon 8150 printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.