Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad /apple id / face time security issues

Had my iPad 2 64 WiFi stolen aproximately 3 months ago and mobile me/find my ipad has not wiped the ipad eventhough, the thiefs have attempted to contact me via facetime!! In addition, I have changed my apple ID and the ID shown is my original Apple ID. This has been going on for 3 months! Have contacted Apple support to no avail in helping me out. They would not give me an email to further address this issue. They only encouraged me to contact the local police and send a letter to Apple Corp. office. The detective on the case has also contacted Apple with no help from their part.

Has anyone encountered this major security issue, which has provided provided a false sense of security as well as a major problem?!

iPad 2, Security Problems

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 1:54 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2012 2:01 PM in response to DocB1

Change your iTunes (Apple ID) password along with any other password that was stored in the iPod. Changing the Apple ID itself accomplished nothing. If any passwords are associated with credit cards, contact the CC company and get your card replaced (with a new number). If any passwords are associated with your bank or any savings institution, contact them also and discuss approprate action with them.

The "Find my..." function is pretty much useless if the device is in the hands of a thief. All that is necessary is for the thief to connect to any computer with iTunes and "Restore as new."

The only real protection you have is with the personal information on the device rather than the physical device itself. Something as small as an iPod should have a strong 8-digit (or longer) password AND be configured for automatic wipe in the event of ten consecutive incorrect password entries.

By the way, I do not know what you expect from Apple. Would you expect GM or Ford to assist you when your car is stolen? Why in the world would the detective contact Apple?

Honestly, any false sense of security is your responsibility.

Jan 8, 2012 2:19 PM in response to DocB1

DocB1 wrote:

Had my iPad 2 64 WiFi stolen aproximately 3 months ago and mobile me/find my ipad has not wiped the ipad eventhough, the thiefs have attempted to contact me via facetime!!

Why not cover up your camera and take the call?

Take a few screenshots (press Home and Power momentarily to get a picture).

Maybe the person attempting to contact you is simply trying to return the iPad?

Jan 8, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Philly_Phan

The intention of this post is that the "wipe out my data" did not function as marketed by Apple. Therefore it provides a false sense of security.

My previous Apple ID is the one contacting me for Facetime after it has been changed.

I do not expect anything from Apple except to possibly help law enforcement locating the stolen IPad, yes they do have the serial number , not in the hopes of getting it returned, but by stopping a huge crime identify theft ring.

Hopefully you'll never have to go through it.

ipad /apple id / face time security issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.