Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I calibrate my mid 2010 macbook pro?

Hello.

I've started the calibration process as I had always done in my macbook pros. This time, however, I chekcked the apple website first and there I saw they say my notebook does NOT need calibration...

That actually every 2009 and later models wouldnt need it cause it had already been done my the factory.

Is that correct? No need for calibration anymore?

If I attempt to do the procedure, will I notice any difference?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 3:36 PM

12 replies

Jan 8, 2012 4:08 PM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

Hello.

I've started the calibration process as I had always done in my macbook pros. This time, however, I chekcked the apple website first and there I saw they say my notebook does NOT need calibration...

That actually every 2009 and later models wouldnt need it cause it had already been done my the factory.

Is that correct? No need for calibration anymore?

If I attempt to do the procedure, will I notice any difference?

What makes you think that Apple's instructions are NOT correct? **scratching head**

User uploaded file

Jan 8, 2012 6:35 PM in response to timelover

Yes they did make changes. I gather they "corrected" themselves. Still, no one here works for Apple nor does Apple visit this message board. We are all end users like yourself helping each other out. No one here has "inside" information on why Apple does what it does and that includes making "corrections & modifications" on their articles.

I myself was recently notified of the change by someone on this message board.

The article in question states - "Last Modified: August 04, 2011"

User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2012 3:01 PM in response to timelover

You should only colaborate a battery if you are noticing incorrect estimated times remaining for charge and recharge, or if you have noticed a sudden decrease in its capacity to hold a charge.

I'd only calaborate a battery under them conditions.

The only downside to battery calaboration is that completely draining modern battery cells of charge is not good from them and can cause damage if done often, you shouldn't really let your battery drop below 10% of charge on a regular basis.

Jan 9, 2012 3:10 PM in response to timelover

It's really only if, for example, your MacBook had 9% (1:03) of charge remaing, but 5 minutes later it had 4% (0:05) and was in reserve power mode it a bit of a sudden extreme change (if you haven't changed what you are doing of course). Its changes by that which I mean to be abnormal. You can get some applications to help you see the health of your battery, the one built into your 'More Info' on 'About this Mac' will give you some idea under the power section on the left.

You can also find an app in the Mac App store called Battery Inspector which I've used before that gives you some extra details (like how much the battery should hold, its battery wear percentage, current capacity and even voltages per cell).

I know thats an extreme example but you get the idea.

Nov 7, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Alixir

No problem. I would like to rephrase it a little. I doesnt make sense.

Calibration does nothing but adds a cycle of usage to your battery and very slightly drain the health of your battery. Calibration is actually supposed to be used for syncing the battery chip that reads how much charge the battery could hold with the actually battery so it could be read with accuracy. Thats it. It does not improve battery health nor improve the longevity of the battery. Calibration should be at most done every 4 months or at least every 1 year.

How to keep your battery healthy.

When your are discharging...

1. Do not do any strenuous tasks. Play 1080p youtube videos. Play games or at least games like battlefield 4. If your palmrest is feeling a bit warm. Try to do less on your battery.

2.Try to use your battery at least once a week. Drain to around 15%. Let it rest for about an hour. Then charge. (No strenuous tasks while draining)

3.When recharging, do no do any strenuous tasks.

4. you could do strenuous tasks when its fully charged to 100% and plugged to the ac.

5. when you are not using you computer and you don't need your things saved and you are not planning to use it for a day or two and it is 100% charged. Fully Shutdown (not sleep) and unplug the ac. Sometimes your battery may drain to 99.5% or something... thats normal.

6. Apple tricks you. The instance the orange(red) light turns green its not at 100% yet. its at 95%. So let it stay green for another hour until doing any strenuous tasks.

7.Also, your battery acts as a buffer when you are on ac. So you shouldn't play heavy games like battlefield 4 or starcraft 2 or encode on imovie for no more than 2-3 hours a day

Should I calibrate my mid 2010 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.