Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB HD is set to read only, how yo change this?

I recently tried reconnecting an external Seagate USB HD for making backups on my MacMini. However the HD wouldn't accept any extra files. I reviewed the HD "permissions" at the bottom of the "Info" dialog box, and found the setting to be Read-Only. There were no available provisions for changing the read-only status of the disk. Any ideas on how to re-adjust the USB HD permissions settings to be writable again?

The permissions issue is wierd, considering that if I connect this same USB HD to a PC, the disk is fully accessable.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 4:00 PM

Then the drive is formatted as MasterBootRecord (MBR) with NTFS partitions.

OSX can read NTFS, but not write, unless you buy some software.

What are your plans with this drive?

• Share files with a PC?
  • Use it to backup your Mac?
  • Use it to store a large photo or music library?
4 replies

Jan 8, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Al Gaboni

According to leroydouglas, he writes the following:

Correct Answer by leroydouglas on Jun 18, 2010 12:26 AM

User uploaded file

rick_kimberlee wrote:
Nope, locks me out; turns out Seagate had Mac flavored and PC flavored external hard drives; alas, mine is a PC flavored one...

rick_kimberlee you can read more here on reformatting with your Disk Utility:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/10307

Hope this solves your problem.

While Dave Sawyer had this to say:

Dave Sawyer Warehouse 13

Check the format of the disk. If it's NTFS, then Mac OS X can read it but cannot write to it. If that is indeed the case, then you have two options:

1) reformat the drive to FAT32 (use Disk Utility and choose MS-DOS). That will allow the drive to be read and written from both Windows and Mac OS X;

2) Try the drivers from Paragon, which claims to allow Mac OS X to both read and write NTFS volumes:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Hope this helps.

External USB HD is set to read only, how yo change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.