Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using DVD-RAM drive

I have tried using my dvd-ram drive many times. The problem is i can't find a dvd-ram disc that actually works. It just spits out the dvd. im using a 450 sawtooth with dvd-ram drive. This is the original drive from 5 years ago before there was dvd-burners. I have never been able to figure out how to use the dvd-ram. Do i need a certain kind of disc or some program to run it, or is it just drag and drop like zip disks. My hard drive is finally full and i really need to make some space and some backups.

g4 - 1ghz, Mac OS X (10.3.7)

Posted on Feb 14, 2006 2:52 PM

6 replies

Feb 23, 2006 12:12 AM in response to Mark Jones8

You need special discs for a DVD-RAM drive, DVD-/+ discs will not work

If you have the older DVD-RAM drive it can only use discs that are 2.6 GB per side. A single-sided 2.6 GB disk will work or a double-sided 5.2 GB disk will work. The discs can be loose (I have a few single-sided like this) or in a cartridge (ALL of my 5.2 GB ones are like this).

The newer DVD-RAM drives use single-sided 4.7 GB discs and 9.4 GB double-sided discs.

Once you have the correct disc, it can be formatted and used just like a regular hard drive. DVD-RAM is fairly slow though.

These discs are getting tougher and tougher to purchase. You might be better off investing in a new larger hard drive or a current DVD-/+ drive to use for backup purposes.

Mar 18, 2006 3:38 PM in response to Nadav

Hi, I couldn't notice but to ask. My G4 Digital Audio
uses a DVD-RAM drive with a big "4.7GB" printed on
it, does this mean I can use 9.4GB DS disks?

Nadav

Yes!! And if you don't mid cold you tell me what the model number is on the drive. You can find this in the System Profiler.

ThankS!

Using DVD-RAM drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.