Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install OS 9 on classic G4

I'm trying to install OS 9 on an old Dual 1.13 GHz G4. It's currently running OS 10.3.9, when I put in the OS 9 CD it doesn't allow me to install. Is this computer OS 9 compatible?

Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 7:08 PM

6 replies

Jan 9, 2012 6:40 AM in response to toiletries3000

Are you using a retail OS 9 installer or the Install/Restore disc that came with the Mac. Many of the G4 models came with a special version of OS 9 higher than OS 9.0. Therefore you need to use the OS 9 version on the Install/Restore disc.

If you just want to run OS 9 apps in classic mode, copy the System Folder from another Mac that has OS 9.1 (or better with 9.2.1 or 9.2.2) installed. A USB thumb dive works great for this. Transfer the folder to your Mac. It won't interfere with your OS X system which is in a folder titled System.

Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 9, 2012 7:35 AM in response to toiletries3000

If you want to install it over Mac OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x you need the emulator, I guess. I do not remember what I did in older times but, from a moment on, the original 9.1 disk was unsable on newer macs, but any PPC mac, including G 5 generation, included a ‘classic’ installer on one of their accompanying CDs or DVDs. This continued until the last PPC was manufactured, i.e. August 2006.

Trying to install OS 9 on classic G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.