Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Firewire to transfer files

There are specific files on my iMac that I want to transfer to specific folders on my MBPro.

How do I specify the specific folders on my MBPro when I use Firewire to transfer the files?

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Vernon

iMac Snow Leopard / MBPro Lion-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 7:55 PM

How do I specify the specific folders on my MBPro when I use Firewire to transfer the files?

Short answer: You don't.

If you're using FireWire Target Disk Mode (start up the machine holding the T key) then the entire drive appears on the other machine's desktop. From there you can navigate the folders in the Finder to locate the files you want to copy.

There's no way to use FireWire Target Disk Mode to specify only certain folders to be available.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2012 7:55 PM in response to VRS

Short answer: You don't.

If you're using FireWire Target Disk Mode (start up the machine holding the T key) then the entire drive appears on the other machine's desktop. From there you can navigate the folders in the Finder to locate the files you want to copy.

There's no way to use FireWire Target Disk Mode to specify only certain folders to be available.

Jan 8, 2012 8:06 PM in response to Camelot

Thanks for your rapid reply and information.

Do I understand this correctly:

you start the computer that you are transfering the files from with holding the T key down and then the drive appears on the desktop of the computer that you are transfering the files to?

Thanks.

Vernon

Using Firewire to transfer files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.