Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod attempting to restore

So since my last posting I have got my friends laptop (running Windows 7) in an attempt to complete the restore process...i have followed the instructions and the restore program is downloading...but the download is taking a long time - and in the mist of the download - the iPod Touch is turning off and then coming back on causing iTunes to repeat the message of going through and restore the iPod - the program continues to download with out interruption - now the program is indicating a download time of 2 to 3 hours which i did - and at the end gave me an error message of the download timing out - so I began the process again - and again the download is indicating a 2 to 3 hour down load time and the iPod Touch (4th gen) is still turning off and then coming back on...

Again, can anyone help?

or - am I gona have to face facts that the iPod is not recoverable? I have had this Touch for just about 30days only!!

Any answers? Should I not waste my time now and just take it back to the Apple Store?

iPod touch, Windows Vista, itunes on computer is lastest vers.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 1:27 AM

1 reply

Jan 9, 2012 1:38 AM in response to battlestarcancer

Did you check your security software settings? iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues

You can also try to download the files directly and point iTunes to them after that: http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/10/ios-5-0-1-released-download-links/

Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw)

iTunes uses "ipsw" files to restore your iPod or iPhone. If those files are unusable, then try deleting them, renaming them, or moving the file to a different directory. This will cause iTunes to download a new copy of the IPSW. When a restore issue is specific to a user, it is likely due to an unusable .ipsw file. If removing the .ipsw file does not resolve a user-specific restore issue, then the issue is caused by other user-specific security software settings or iTunes preferences. Creating a new user will also cause new .ipsw restore files to be downloaded in the new user. You can find the ".ipsw" files in these locations:

Mac OS X

iPhone
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
iPad
~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates
iPod touch
~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
Note: The tilde "~" represents your Home directory.

Windows XP

iPhone
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touch
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: If you don't see the Application Data folder, you may need to show hidden files.

Windows 7 and Vista

iPhone C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touch C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: If you don't see the AppData folder, you may need to show hidden files.

copied from http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694 ->Advanced steps

iPod attempting to restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.