Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Instances of Finder Running

Hey guys,

I noticed that my Finder gets unresponsive after a certain time so upon checking the "Force Quit Applications" window I found two instances of Finder running. Relaunching either is just resulting in them starting again, as they should. There is just one process showing up in Activity Monitor and quitting that leads to the same two instances starting again as well. Logging out and back in fixes the problem for a few hours.

What could cause this?

Thanks,

V

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPhone 4, 32GB ger, iOS 4.1, T-Mobile GER

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 12:16 PM

Most likely a corrupted LaunchServices database. Launch the Terminal app in /Utilities, copy & paste in this one-liner, hit the return key, quit the Terminal app, and restart:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Ensure that there's no spaces in the LaunchServices entry. These forums appear to be mucking up the command.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2012 12:16 PM in response to VNDL42

Most likely a corrupted LaunchServices database. Launch the Terminal app in /Utilities, copy & paste in this one-liner, hit the return key, quit the Terminal app, and restart:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Ensure that there's no spaces in the LaunchServices entry. These forums appear to be mucking up the command.

Jan 21, 2012 7:58 AM in response to baltwo

I am having this same issue. I am not very good with Terminal commands. You mention there should not be any spaces in the command, does that in clude in the end:

lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Should there not be any spaces inbetween these dashes? Also, should I be putting in my information (My Domain Local, MY Domain System, and MY Domain User?

Two Instances of Finder Running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.