Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.2.2 is stuck on "loading assets" after I updated

I don't have an overly large library (30gbs) and have left this "update" spinning for a two days now. I have already restarted Aperture and, as of now, it's not functional.

Ideas?

Of possible assistance: I'm using a MBPro, 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo on OSX 10.6.8. This computer is getting to "that age" when I need to consider a replacement (almost 6 years old now!) but it runs every other program well and with no problems, except Aperture. I have been using Aperture for about a year now, with occasional crashes if I'm doing a lot with RAW files, but other than that, it has been great.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 4:19 AM

19 replies

Jan 10, 2012 1:55 AM in response to lucasfromeurope

And... to add an update: Yesterday, I had been unable to run any other program (including Safari) while Aperture was "loading assets" after I had pressed the "update library" as the final part of the software update for 3.2.2.

I have done all of the "Library First Aid Tools" (which ended up putting about 1,000 photos into the trash... scary) and have done everything else under the "Trouble Shooting Basics" short of reinstalling the program, which I guess I am going to do now, though I was hoping to avoid this. It seems to "Windows" for me to have to reinstall a piece of software. Suck.

Jan 10, 2012 3:00 AM in response to lucasfromeurope

Lucas,

2GB RAM really is not enough memory for such a challenging task as upgrading the Library. Apple claims that 2GB is sufficient to run Aperture, but makes no promises about the efficiency.

I recommend to start the Activity Window in Aperture (Window -> Show Activity) to see how Aperture is going along. The Advantage is, you can cancel Aperture Processes from the Activity Window and sometimes avoid the "Force Quit" if the Activity Window is available.

Also launch the Activity Monitor from "Applications -> Utilities". The Application Monitor will tell you how much RAM Aperture is using, and if you machine is starved of RAM. And I would not even think about running Safari while Aperture needs all the RAM. Safari tends to keep huge caches. With the Activity Monitor you also can watch the disk i/O and see, if you temporarily do need more free disk space.

Rebuilding the Library probably was o.k., for force quitting can corrupt the library.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 10, 2012 3:06 AM in response to léonie

Yeah. I have just been reading through various threads not really related to this, but related to RAM issues with Aperture (and other programs).

I don't suppose you have any suggestions for other programs that can process RAW images given my current specs. I actually live in Morocco at the moment and won't be able to purchase a new computer until this summer, at which point, I think everything will be okay because, as far as I can tell, all of the issues I have are mostly related to the lack of power in my aging MBPro (sad... this laptop has kicked butt for a long time).

Jan 10, 2012 4:15 AM in response to lucasfromeurope

RAM is not that expensive, and I hope you can buy RAM in Morocco; If you can replace your 2GB RAM by 4 GB on your aging MBP, it will do well, and it would not be wasted - you can transfer the RAM to a new MBP if you ever replace your old MBP. You can easily insert the RAM yourself, if you manage to get the screw drivers, or perhaps a local hardware store can do it for you.

In this posts are some links on how to upgrade RAM: Re: Aperture Speed

Jan 10, 2012 5:15 AM in response to lucasfromeurope

Thtat's too bad, sorry. Then refrain from running any other application while upgrading your library.

One thing you might consider to do is, to reorganize your Library with Aperture 2, if you still have it. Export several smaller Aperture 2 libraries and take care to keep the size of the projects small.

Start Aperture 3 with a new, empty library, and successively import the smaller Aperture 2 libraries, just an idea to keep you going again ...

Regards

Léonie

Apr 7, 2012 4:02 PM in response to lucasfromeurope

I have had exactly the same problem, but Im on an iMac. I was able to remove the files via iPhoto, but Aperture just hung on "Loading Assets". I also found that Aperture did not remove files from my memory card when I had hit Yes to remove photos from memory card. And they were quite old photos, so it may be an issue with the memory card, but in that case I doubt that iPhoto would have been able to remove them.....at a loss also. Im on a 4 GB iMac. I wondering if there is some glitch in Aperture???

Aperture 3.2.2 is stuck on "loading assets" after I updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.