Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Macbook Air - Multiple logic board failures - possible causes?

I have a 2011 i7 macbook air - 7 months old. About a month ago I went to use the computer after allowing it to sleep and it was totally dead. Apple authorized repair center said the logic board failed and needed to be replaced. Fast forward a month and I finally get the machine back. It works fine for 6 hours, I put it to sleep, and soon as the screen went out, I hear a pop, fizzle, then the machine is dead again. The authorized repair center wants to replace the logic board again, which should get me up and running, but its not likley that that is the root CAUSE of the problem here, since it happened twice now. I suggested to them that perhaps the power adaptor, battery, or some other component is the issue and they don't think so. I'm located overseas, and every repair attempt takes 1 month b/c of parts (total joke if you're listening apple!!). My biggest concern is that they replace the logic board again, I'm out of commission for 2 months now, and it just fails again. Does anyone have any suggestions on the possible causes of this problem?

As FYI - I'm using the same power outlet and power strip with another laptop and haven't had any similar issues. Thanks for the help!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 6:59 AM

7 replies

Nov 10, 2012 4:15 AM in response to jaycityatl

If you are putting the computer to sleep by closing the lid the root cause may involve a short in the LCD connector. You should definitely mention this when you get it repaired again.

It is doubtful that any connected device, battery or charger is the root cause since you used the computer for several hours. Had any of these caused the failure it would certainly have occurred before you put it to sleep. However if you closed the lid to put it to sleep that might have triggered a short. Perhaps an extreme static discharge could be responsible but I'd imagine that you'd have mentioned shocking yourself.

Mar 1, 2013 9:31 AM in response to jaycityatl

The root cause of the mother board (logic board) failures is due to a poor design. PERIOD! There is not much someone can do to screw up a mother board. Just think about it. How many computers do you know about that have logic board failures? I can't think of any except for Apples'. This is not a matter of how you turn your computer off; whether or not you put it to sleep or close the lid. It's an inherent design flaw. They screwed up and they are covering it up.

<Edited by Host>

May 27, 2013 2:57 AM in response to Sabaka1

I have logic board problems too. I have had a late 2010 mac book air for 2 and half years. Its been a great machine in general - although it did go back within the warranty period for the track pad

Now it has logic board failure - symptons are the sound going and the battery is dead and it is unable to charge which means every time you put the power lead on the computer thinks it is starting from scratche.

I have been quoted over £400 for the repair! Like the above post I do not believe that this part should fail - and if it does then it is a major design problem and Apple should be doing something for us. I just dont know where to start.

I have used macs for 14 years and owned eight along the way. Most have them have lasted many years with full functionality the record was my G3 imac which was still working after 13 years.

I really cant believe the situation I am in and rather think I have bought my last mac!

alistair

Sep 16, 2016 6:06 AM in response to 0418rob

I Ashok Kumar, wish to share my bad experience with Apple product i.e. Macbook Air . I purchased Macbook air laptop sl no.C0*******085 in Mar,2015 at a price more than 2-3 times the other reputed brands in India. It had a warranty of one year i.e. upto Mar,2016. Within 3 months of purchase, the laptop started getting overheated and getting shutdown within 10-15 minutes of use. I visited their authorized services centre IGENICA in Noida. They initially diagnosed that all hardware are in order only some testing of battery or other components is required to assess the problem. I had to make 7-8 visits to their service centre as the same problem recurred after their diagnosis on every visits.

Fed up with so much harassment, I called Apple care people also and requested to replace the laptop immediately. But they decided to change the Logic board (mother board) instead of replacing the laptop. Surprisingly, despite having sold lakhs of such laptop, APPLE /IGENICA do not maintain any inventory of components. It consumed a lot of time to get the new Logic board for replacement. The long time of about 3 months taken to finally replace the logic board was a period of unimaginable harassment and mental agony to me. This also consumed 3 month of the warranty period and also depicted incompetency of IGENICA to resolve the problem.

After about 6 months of use, laptop was not booting up every now and then. unfortunately this started happening just a few days of warranty period ( Mar,16). This time I called Apple care and requested to repair the Laptop or replace without any cost as they had taken 3 months to replace logic board during warranty period. They denied to above and advised to contact Mac clinic (another service centre) who charged US$30 (INR 2000) just to diagnose and inform the problem in the laptop. Initially they told that system hardware is in order only system format will resolve the booting problem. But the laptop did not boot up even after formatting then they diagnosed after taking 3 week that it requires change of Logic board (mother board) and asked US$570 (INR 37500) charges for the same with only two month guarantee.

My request to various level of Apple management to replace the logic board or to replace the laptop without any cost has been denied stating that it is out of warranty despite the fact that they have taken three months of warranty period to replace the logic board.

On support community on web, I have come across that thousands of people had similar issue with Mac book and they have painfully mentioned never to buy Apple Product which are unreliable, poor quality and high cost products. NOw my Macbook is lying in dead condition and I regret buying Macbook.

I am stiil hopeful of help from Apple.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

2011 Macbook Air - Multiple logic board failures - possible causes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.