Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook freezes with Samsung HN-M101MBB

Hi folks!

I have a MacBook Pro 15" late 2011

CPU: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

RAM: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

and i have fitted a man-like Samsung HN-M101MBB 1TB HDD

I've copied all the data, fit the HDD into the MAC and everything went very well form the first moment on. One month later, the MAC began to make trouble. I did some troubleshooting and soon i figured out, that the HDD must cause the problem. So i replaced it to find out, that the HDD in an external enclousure worked really fine, even in a 2 weeks long-run.

New HDD, same problems.

Basically, the HDD should work with my MAC, so what is the problem?

Maybe somebody can give me a clue to relieve an austrian guy from severe MAC-pain!

yours, tom

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 1:38 PM

8 replies

Feb 2, 2012 8:54 AM in response to tomnold

I've had the same problems. I bought my first 1TB Samsung HD in October. Three weeks later, I couldn't get my MBP to boot up. I kept getting a question mark on a grey screen or a folder with a slash through it. I finally returned the HD for another one, and about a month later, the same problems resurfaced. One application will freeze and then others follow. I have to hold down my power button to turn the computer off. Often, my MBP will boot back up but I ocassionally still get the question mark or the missing start-up folder icon. It's frustrating.

Feb 7, 2012 5:41 PM in response to matthewhaag

Matthew, I am facing exactly the same problem as you, even the timeframes you described ! Actually my problems started when I upgraded my MBP i5 (mid 2010) to 500 GB using a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid SSD + HD) which after some months just stopped working. So I decided to substitute it for a Samsung HN-M101MBB and after less than one month I am with no working HD again !

I am really feeling with few options to solve this "endless story" with failing HDs !

Does someone has a suggestion for a solution for that ? Is it really a HD problem, or can be another thing ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Rodrigo - Sao Paulo - Brazil

Feb 7, 2012 5:45 PM in response to RDMartins

Rodrigo,

My hard drive had numerous problems today. It froze and when I tried to boot it again, I got the circle with the slash -- the prohibitory sign. I tried rebooting about a dozen times and the error popped up every time. Once I got home from work and tried again about two hours later, the computer started up. So, so strange.

Have you tried any apps to fix your hard drive? DiskWarrior? I'm going to try some -- but I think I have to get a new hard drive.

But you've had problems with mulitple hard drives?

Feb 7, 2012 11:35 PM in response to matthewhaag

Matthew,

Very strange behavior this one ! So first your HD didn't work, and some hours later it works ! Again, it's a similar situation to mine. Using the recovery partition from Lion, sometimes I can repair the permissions and file system, but it is not a rule.

I've been experiencing problems with two disks. The first, a Seagate Momentus XT, is the same HD that lots of Mac users had experienced problems due HD's firmware incompatibility. Because of this situation, I tried to replace it for the Samsung HN-M101MBB, and after approximately one month, here I am with problems again !

Regarding softwares, I used the most of times the Disk Utility. I enjoyed your good idea and will download Disk Warrior and see what happens.

Thank you for your help and attention.

Rodrigo

Feb 8, 2012 6:48 AM in response to RDMartins

I have bought a completely new MB Pro (the 2,4Ghz i7 Version) and inserted the same HDD again.

What else I have done?

I completely erased the disk, overwrote it three times with a huge ammount of zeros (0), cloned it in an external storage with carbon copy cloner, made 2 partitions (705GB and 250GB).

At least since three weeks it works ;-)

MacBook freezes with Samsung HN-M101MBB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.