Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Ethernet Problems

I have an iMac 2011 3.1 GHz.

The Ethernet Port works (sometimes).

But sometimes (every 1-2 Days), the Ethernet Port suddenly "turns off" (after a restart).

During this phase the iMac says "no Ethernet Cable Connected" and I am unable to open a new Ethernet access in preferences/Network.

On top of that it says in "Hardware" "NO ETHERNET PCI CARD INSTALLED".

Then I have to do a "PR-Reset" or a start holding down "SHIFT-Key" to bring it back to work.

I am totally confused.

The Ethernet port semms to be OK, I think this could be a software-Bug?!?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 5:55 PM

After a electrical storm in which my router/modem ethernet port stopped working on my iMac which I tested with a laptop to narrow down to the router/modem or Ethernet cable. ISP provider lost 25%of the packet they sent so they came out and replaced the router/modem and cable. This worked for the laptop but not the iMac. To test the port after turning firmware password off, unplugged everything but the Ethernet, turned on computer and pressed the "d" key for diagnostics which passed. Then I deleted my home WiFi from preferences, turned the WiFi off, restarted the computer holding down option, command, r. Only the WiFi option came up which I was told, confirmed the Ethernet port was bad. To circumvent this I bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and plugged it into the Thunderbolt port 1 (next to the ethernet port). At first this didn't register but the Ethernet port on the router/modem lit up. Tried adding Thunderbolt and finally just plugged the Thunderbolt into port 2 and a Thunderbolt Ethernet connection appeared in my system preferences-->network window. This really seems to be much faster as far as loading pages than the Ethernet port to Ethernet port connection. Well worth the $29.00 for the adapter Model A1433.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2017 5:55 PM in response to FrederikY

After a electrical storm in which my router/modem ethernet port stopped working on my iMac which I tested with a laptop to narrow down to the router/modem or Ethernet cable. ISP provider lost 25%of the packet they sent so they came out and replaced the router/modem and cable. This worked for the laptop but not the iMac. To test the port after turning firmware password off, unplugged everything but the Ethernet, turned on computer and pressed the "d" key for diagnostics which passed. Then I deleted my home WiFi from preferences, turned the WiFi off, restarted the computer holding down option, command, r. Only the WiFi option came up which I was told, confirmed the Ethernet port was bad. To circumvent this I bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and plugged it into the Thunderbolt port 1 (next to the ethernet port). At first this didn't register but the Ethernet port on the router/modem lit up. Tried adding Thunderbolt and finally just plugged the Thunderbolt into port 2 and a Thunderbolt Ethernet connection appeared in my system preferences-->network window. This really seems to be much faster as far as loading pages than the Ethernet port to Ethernet port connection. Well worth the $29.00 for the adapter Model A1433.

Jan 9, 2012 1:41 PM in response to FrederikY

Someone on here recently had problems with an ethernet port that stopped working. I believe an SMC reset seemed to fix it.

SMC Reset

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer’s power cord and disconnect peripherals.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Jan 10, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Paul_31

Sadly it helped not.

Same Situation: "No Ethernet PCI Cards are installed".

But in terminal:

netstat -I en0

• Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll
  • en0 1500 <Link#5> 12:8a:sx:a0:b7:a3 30869 0 23025 0 0
  • en0 1500 imac-119add fe80:5::134a:ddff 30869 - 23025 - -
  • en0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.110 30869 - 23025 - -

-> so the Ethernet Port seems to be OK.

BUT "ping" is not possible.

iMac Ethernet Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.