Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display only works at certain angles

My grandma has a 600MHz iBook G3. In August it was sent to Apple for a logic board replacement, and since then has been very lightly used. Perhaps only 5 hours a week. About two days ago, the display started to die. The picture is only visable when the screen is at a certain angle (about 45 degrees.) I took it to the apple store, and was told it was probably a pinched wire, and the repair would be $135. Does anyone feel it could be another issue? Should the repair be covered since the logic board was recently replaced? Thanks for any input. I just feel like the I'm paying for repairs that were caused by a design flaw, not a user error.

Posted on Feb 14, 2006 6:17 PM

8 replies

Feb 15, 2006 8:02 AM in response to Pierre Meystre

This is not covered under the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program.

The $135 is a pretty good price. The cheapest place I've found online is $125, and you would have to pay shipping both ways to and from Fremont, California.

Also, you are fortunate that the Apple Store has recognized the problem as a pinched cable and is willing to fix it as such. The official Apple remedy for this problem is to replace the display (at a cost of hundreds of dollars). You are the first person I've seen who says Apple will replace the cable at such a reasonable cost.

Check out the 90 degrees and black out!!!! thread, and you will see what a common problem this is.

Feb 15, 2006 1:48 PM in response to Pierre Meystre

I read the "90 degrees and blackout" discussion, and the common feeling seems to be that the display cables going through the right hinge of the iBook are being pinched. I also understand that $135 for a laptop repair is fairly small, however, I also feel slightly ripped off. Why should I have to pay for a design flaw? There is absolutely no way this problem could have been prevented, aside from never opening and closing the laptop lid. Not to mention, is this is such a common problem on iBooks, shouldn't it have been fixed one of the other two times the computer has been sent to apple for logic board replacements? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Feb 15, 2006 3:09 PM in response to Pierre Meystre

If it only started happening two days ago, how would Apple have been supposed to fix it when it was in for the other repairs? It is not such a "common" problem among iBooks. It is a common complaint here, but many iBooks have never had any problem at all (logic board or cable problem).

You are talking about a four-year-old computer, after all. Things do go wrong sometimes.

I have NEVER before seen Apple offering to fix one of these for as low as the price you've been quoted. The official fix has always been to install a new display at the cost of hundreds of dollars.

Instead of feeling ripped off, I'd advise you to grab the offer and get it fixed before they change their minds. Many folks would be thrilled at the chance to get theirs fixed at that price.

I try to keep this from happening to mine by never closing it unless I'm putting it in my bag to take it somewhere (since I've been reading about this problem for three years).

Feb 21, 2006 5:21 PM in response to Benny B

I am NOT apologizing for Apple.

It is one of the more common problems seen here, but that does not make it a "common problem." The most common thing for iBooks is for there not to be any problem whatsoever.

For every user who posts here, there are a thousand (or more) iBook users happily iBooking away with not a care in the world (at least, regarding iBooks), and oblivious to others' problems with them.

Since I am aware of the potential problem, I choose not to close mine when I don't have to do so. My husband opens and closes his several times a day, and his seems to have had no ill effects (thus far, and it's a 500 MHz model we've had for over three years).

Apple does not recognize a "design flaw" unless it affects a significant enough number of models to warrant such action. The cable problem does not occur in enough of a percentage of iBooks to trigger such an action.

Feb 24, 2006 1:04 AM in response to Pierre Meystre

The price quoted is among the lowest numbers one can pay;
I sent my (currently oldest computer) iBookG3 dualUSB 12"
computer to wegenermedia and had the same service done
to mine ... I paid $134. plus US Priority Mail. [A CompUSA
store 100+ miles away quoted me alot more & they send all
work like that out of state.]

Mine is a May 2001 build-date, topped out to 576MB RAM
has original 9.4GB Toshiba HDD; CD-ROM. Added Airport
card, dual-boots 9.2.2 & 10.3.9. Until something else goes,
it is very stable and has original logic board, etc.

I'd heard (unsubstantiated) the newer iBookG4 designs
had been modified to help alleviate the cable wear issue.
Time will tell. -- I have a mid-2005 iBookG4 1.33 12', too.

iBookG4 1.33 12/iMacG4 1.25 17/iBookG3 500 12 dualUSB Mac OS X (10.4.5) & (2) 10.3.9; plus AirPort EBS w/ 56k modem + ext antenna

Display only works at certain angles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.