Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine or RAID set?

Recently, when my system disk began to fail, I purchased two 1TB hard drives to replace it. I then configured both drives as one RAID set so that any data on my system disk would automatically be written on the second disk as a backup. But now I'm wondering whether it would have been better to have designated the second drive as a Time Machine backup drive? For one thing, if I accidentally erased a file, I could retrieve it if the second disk was a Time Machine backup disk, but I think it'd be gone forever with a RAID set. Also, Lion's Disk Utility does not repair permissions on a RAID set (without resorting to terminal commands).

Any input on which method of backing up I should choose?

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 6:47 PM

Raymond Fox wrote:

. . .

But now I'm wondering whether it would have been better to have designated the second drive as a Time Machine backup drive?

Yes, in several ways.

For one thing, if I accidentally erased a file, I could retrieve it if the second disk was a Time Machine backup disk, but I think it'd be gone forever with a RAID set.

That's correct.

Also, Lion won't put a Recovery HD on a RAID set (just why isn't clear).

If you're thinking of using FileVault2, it won't do that, either.

Time Machine is the easiest and simplest. You might want to review the Time Machine Tutorial, and perhaps browse Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

If you're unsure about different types of backups, see Time Machine vs. Clones and Archives.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2012 6:47 PM in response to Raymond Fox

Raymond Fox wrote:

. . .

But now I'm wondering whether it would have been better to have designated the second drive as a Time Machine backup drive?

Yes, in several ways.

For one thing, if I accidentally erased a file, I could retrieve it if the second disk was a Time Machine backup disk, but I think it'd be gone forever with a RAID set.

That's correct.

Also, Lion won't put a Recovery HD on a RAID set (just why isn't clear).

If you're thinking of using FileVault2, it won't do that, either.

Time Machine is the easiest and simplest. You might want to review the Time Machine Tutorial, and perhaps browse Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

If you're unsure about different types of backups, see Time Machine vs. Clones and Archives.

Time Machine or RAID set?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.