Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing RED Rocket card

Hello ya'll!

I am going to be installing a RED Rocket card on my Mac Pro (2010 model) to do some transcoding of RED footage. Now, RED says to install the card into Slot 2. Which is great. My stupid question is: where is Slot 2? I've done a lot of googling of installing cards into Slot 2 and couldn't find any tutorials (hopefully video) on the subject. It might be a simple thing for others, but I don't open my computer up very often, so the location of Slot 2 and how to install the card remains a mystery. Help!

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 6:55 PM

Run the Expansion Slot Utility, located in "/System/Library/Core Services" and you can see not only the slot layout but how they are currently configured.

PS: Slot 2 is the second from the bottom. Your video card should be in the bottom slot (slot 1).

14 replies

Jan 10, 2012 6:32 AM in response to Peter Jason

But of course!

So just out of curiosity. I was looking at some tutorials on installing an eSATA adapter. In the video they install it in the second slot, but say it can go in any of the available ones. Is that the same one?? On the right side of the CPU, about midway vertically, lying flat? Is that big flat thing the video card? And the RED Rocket would go right above that?? And then what would it plug into?

Jan 11, 2012 1:23 PM in response to X423424X

Thanks everyone!

Now, there's good news and bad news. The good news is the card is installed and is recognized. The bad news is that I'm told as I try to do some work with it it tells me: "Warning: RedRocket #0 is in a 1x PCI-Ex Lane. The RedRocket requires an 8x lane to perform properly." My main Radeon card is running 16x. What can I do speed up the Red Rocket? Is it just in the wrong Slot? Should I try one of the others? Or is there something else? I know that there's a way to redistribute the lanes. Is this recommended? (My machine is from early 2010.)

Installing RED Rocket card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.