Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock Slider Grayed Out

I have a problem with several Mac book computers at our local elementary school. It seems like approximately 1/3 of our MacBooks are experiencing this problem. Any time you go into System Preferences --> Dock the size slider is grayed out. There's no way to move this slider up or down. This is on both standard user account and administrator account.

Is there any way to change this? Is there a preference list file that could be audited or changed to allow the Dock to be resized again?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

MacBook, Xserve G5, PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 10:39 PM

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2012 10:39 PM in response to AZidek

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

Jul 29, 2015 8:58 AM in response to AZidek

I ran into this same problem. Since you mentioned elementary school computers and I manage Macs for a school system it dawned on me that this problem could be due to remote management of the dock. Thought I would chime in incase someone else runs into this in the future. I removed remote management of the dock from server and the problem went away.

User uploaded file

Dock Slider Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.