Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G4 MDD Keeps Freezing Up

Hello Guys. Long time no see. Ok so I have a new question for the experts. I have a Power Mac G4 MDD (originally Dual 1.25GHz, now overclocked the original 1.25GHz to 1.5GHz using this guide http://bitsandpieces.info/Multipliers.htm ) It is running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard and Has iLife '09 and iWork '09 installed. It has 2GB of RAM (4x 512MB) and 4 WD 160GB Drives. It usually freeze up during a Time Machine Backup. Tried all things resetting PRAM button inside tower, running OnyX and Repairing Permissions with Disk Utility. It has a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB Graphics card. Ive reseated it as well. AirPort Card has it too. Any suggestions?

Matthew Knice

Power Mac G4 MDD DP 1.25GHz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8), OC 1.5GHz DP, 2GB RAM, 160GB 3x80GB

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 9:45 PM

10 replies

Jan 9, 2012 11:08 PM in response to Matthew Knice

HI Matt,

I get a wierd QT notice trying to view that jpg!??

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport in 10.4 & below, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! :-)

Disconnect the USB cable from any Uninterruptible Power Supply so the system doesn't shut down in the middle of the process.

Jan 10, 2012 6:00 AM in response to Matthew Knice

Do you have an Apple Hardware Test disc (the AHT is on the Install/Restore DVD that came with your Mac)? Running the Apple Hardware Test in Loop Mode is an excellent troubleshooting step for finding intermittent hardware problems. It is especially useful when troubleshooting intermittent kernel panics. If Loop Mode is supported by the version of the Apple Hardware Test you are using, you run the Extended Test in Loop Mode by pressing Control-L before starting the test. Looping On should appear in the right window. Then click the Extended Test button.The test will run continuously until a problem is found. If a problem is found, the test will cease to loop, indicating the problem it found. If the test fails, be sure to write down the exact message associated with the failure.In some cases, RAM problems did not show up until nearly 40 loops, so give it a good run.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 22, 2012 10:13 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Sorry for the late reply...and well I realized I never modified the CPUs power voltage and well the voltage was just a tad bit too low. So I raised the voltage, and all was normal. =) yay, well so I decided then lets kick it into high gear. So I went all the way with the multipliers and got it running at DP 2.5GHz and now it runs but shortly cuts off, (yes I bumped voltage up all the way this time) but now its different behavior. It just cuts off as if somebody pulled the plug. But it runs for like 30 minutes if I havent touched it in a while. Must be heat related, has stock heatsink and AS5 in the G4 Chips (I put about the size of a BB on each chip) and yeah it runs VERY fast but shortly goes under...any ideas for bigger heatsinks? Or how I could fit one in there?!!! LOL not any room at all and certainly cant LCS it (not that Id ever want to either) 😉 Again thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2012 5:04 AM in response to Matthew Knice

2.5 GHz?!? Are you BBQing ribs at the same time? If not, shame to waste all that heat.....

LCS would be a good way to go to cool an overly OC'd machine.

You will never get enough heatsink and fan inside the case to properly aircool it.

Let's not forget that you may be over-pulling voltage on one or two of the PSU voltage rails.....lack of power quality and heat in the PSU are also likely accomplices in the shutdowns.

I'm working on a liquid cooled system for my 2.0 GHz processor in a Quicksilver.

due to case restraints, I'm moving the system to a Lian Li ATX case.

If you want to try and keep things "inside" and OEM looking on the outside, one of the best MDD modders that I have seen has his cooling mods documented here:

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/

MDD articles are to the bottom.

Jan 23, 2012 3:11 PM in response to japamac

2.5 GHz?!? Are you BBQing ribs at the same time?

A good idea, but be sure to use barbeque sauce that does not conduct electricity.

I'm very surprised that this machine even boots at 2.5GHz. IMHO, any OC that requires bumping CV is not worth it. If this were my machine and it were unstable at 1.5, I'd simply drop it back down to 1.42. The most that you can hope for is 1.67 and the odds are against you that it will be stable at this speed without liquid cooling. I've never heard of an OEM MDD module clocked higher than 1.67 that was even remotely stable.

I guess it depends on how long you want to keep this computer and what you consider to be a good trade-off between heat and performance, but my advice would be to drop it down to 1.42 (and buy a grill for cooking those ribs).

Jan 30, 2013 12:29 AM in response to BDAqua

My MDD frezes 12 minutes after boot up everytime, just like clockwork.

I installed and ran applejack in AUTO mode. When the program gets to "checking preferences" I don't think anything is happening. I let it run for hours and the program seems to continue to run but never stops. I get line after line after line of continuous progress bar.

Something like

*_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ to infinity and beyond.

I don't think running applejack can tell if the computer has frozen. When checking the preferences it appears to be caught into endless loop.

Any help?

G4 MDD Keeps Freezing Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.