Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac headphone port / speaker issue

Hi everyone.

My iMac has just started causing me grief with a new issue.

When I turn it on the sound does not work.

The Mac registers presses of the keyboard volume button etc with the on-screen volume graphic but no sound is made by the speakers... until, strangely, you plug in headphones into the headphone socket, then unplug them, when the speakers work again.

Is this a common issue? Is there a simple fix for this?

I have Apple Care and have already had repairs to the system equating to the value of the same amount I purchased the iMac for originally over two visits to the Apple Store with it, but I fear another visit, which ideally I'd like to avoid if I can!

I believe it started after the iMac was shut down one night with some headphones still plugged in.

iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3., Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 3GS 16 GB.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:44 AM

1 reply

Jan 10, 2012 5:55 AM in response to Mr Pointment

First try doing both a SMC and PRAM reset, it wouldn't hurt to do each 2x. If that doesn't work try restarting in Safe Mode please click the link for instructions. If you still don't have any luck call AppleCare!

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

iMac headphone port / speaker issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.