Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion update was a big mistake

My wife had a macbook pro. Ran snow leopard. No problems. She loved it. I have an iMac running snow leopard as well. No problems. Use time machine. No problems. But then I bought my wife a new airbook. It came with snow leopard with a free upgrade to lion.

Upon arrival, during the install there was the question of do I want to restore from a time machine backup. Yes. About 40 minutes later. It was done. There were a couple of minor library rebuilds, but that was it. I was impressed.

But then I did the lion update. What a mistake. First I don't get a disk, it is a download of 1.4 GB. I DO NOT have a high link and it is over 100 miles to the nearest apple store. So it is NOT convenient to drive and at current gasoline prices a small fortune. So it took several days for the download to complete. I am frosted already.

When the download finished, I WAS NOT given the opportunity to make a DVD of the download. So if something goes wrong, I have to do this all over again.

I have 5 mac's/ In the past I have bought a family pack for the machines. About $90. Now if I update, I have to pay over $100. Plus the repearted downloads over and over again.

After this hurtle, my wife complained some of her applicaitons no longer worked. The power PC compatibility programs running with rosetta. Now all gone. Not supported. Libraries had to be rebuilt. Printers disappeared. Some worked and some did not and had to be recreated.

I am not happy about this. This is the worst update I have ever seen apple release.

There is little I can do to have apple fix this. so I have told everyone I know with an apple DO NOT UPDATE to lion until you absolutely have to. It is no worth it. Maybe after a couple of updates, someone will get the brilliant idea to fix the problems. Then when I absolutely have to I will update.

Each day I get an update from a third party software vendor. the release notes read fixed something to work with lion. what ever happened to compatibility mode.

iMac

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 6:10 AM

11 replies

Jan 10, 2012 7:09 AM in response to CR

there are multple articlet hat apple as realsed that do state what lion is and what it supports and what not.

With lion when purchasing it from the app store you can redownload them all the comptuer you own > so go inot he store and the purchases adn click lion.. no need to buy a lincese agreement unless your in a business or the comptuer are used by poeple other then your self adn ur family.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP629 > lion specs

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html > lion spec

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US > about the recovery and how it works > how to put it onan external HD

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3938?viewlocale=en_US > Power pc programs

IT IS NOT APPEL FAULT THAT YOU DID NOT DO YOUR INVESTIGATEING BEFORE you UPGRADEING

IT IS NOT APPLES RESPONSIBILTY TO MAKE SURE THRID PARTY PROGRAMS WORK WIHT THERE OS : ITS THE DEVELOPERS

aND

you should never use anothers comptuer timemachine on another comptuer > thast just trouble waiting to happen

now the other options which is an option is too. Whe you downloaded it the frist time is to copy the installer from the applications folder befoer installing and move it to a USB stick adn install it from there > that save your internet connection.

Apple make it clear what you need to set up lion and if you can understand that then you shoudl call them before doing upgrades and what not.

Jan 10, 2012 8:01 AM in response to kayewilkins

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I was a fool not to check for items not supported. But given I have been using the apple for years and never encountered a version so disjoined to the next version. Yep my fault for assuming would keep it compatible.

As I wrote earlier perhaps it was misunderstood. The time machine restore worked just fine. But at the time it was a snow leopard to snow leopard restore.

"now the other options which is an option is too. Whe you downloaded it the frist time is to copy the installer from the applications folder befoer installing and move it to a USB stick adn install it from there > that save your internet connection."

That is great! However, when I did the update, there were NO messages, pop-up, anything that gave the slightest hint, I could save the backup to something like a USB stick. It simply just started.

Thanks everyone for the response. Very helpful.

As always your mileage may very.

Why? Do you have seperate App Store ID's for each Mac?

Yes, each member of the family created their own store ID for their own iTunes purchases/usage. It also helps me keep track of expenses on charges. Whom is buying what.

Jan 10, 2012 10:43 AM in response to CR

Earlier this week I ran disk utility on my MBP and was informed the drive was corrupt and I needed to run disk utility from the install disk. Since my copy of Lion was also downloaded from the App Store, I wasn't sure how to do this...

Turns out Lion has these features built in from the install. To acess disk utility or to reinstall Lion if needed, hold down option as you restart. It's the same as the old boot from disk feature. Hope this helps if you are in a situation where you may need the installer.

Lion update was a big mistake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.