Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Less Volume When Bouncing

Hi, I've been reading A LOT of threads about people who have the issue that when they Bounce their track to iTunes they get a reduction of Volume. And I haven't seen on any of them a way to avoid this problem.

Well I have the same problem, I work on Logic Pro 9.1.6 and I work on a song on a determinate volume.

When I bounce the volume decreases higly on any program I use to reproduce it, iTunes, QuickTime,...

I can't understand why when my mix sounds on a determinate volume when i BOUNCE it loses so much volume when I haven't put anything
on the Master Track, And don't tell me it is about mastering because when I worked in Cubase if I bounced a track at 0dbfS when I heard it in any other program it had the same Volume and here NOT.

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Macbook Pro 15 inches 8gbRam

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:27 AM

Weird. What is your level on the Output1-2 or the Master track in Logic? Is it clipping? Even if it´s clipping your track can be low as heck in MEAT/volume. That depends on what frequencies are clipping. If you see a lot of pump on the output meters in Logic before you bounce (meaning that the level typically pumps from -14 or even -20 db and up to 0 db or even clips a lil to +1-2 db, it´s a typical example of a situation where your tracks dynamic range is too high or unplanned for.

But here is what you can do:

1. Start Logic and start iTunes. Import a song you have bought in itunes to one stereo audio track in you Logic session. Make sure you dont have any plugins on this track or the master or output 1-2. Make sure the volume settings in both programs are the same (i.e.100% or whatever) Play the imorted commercial mixed song in both itunes and Logic. They should sound allmost identical in level; most probably iTunes will be a tad louder. BUT MOST IMPORTANT, your song should play just as high as the commercial mix, but I bet it doesn´t. Because you haven´t used limiters, maximizers and such.

I bet your problem lies in the dynamics of your mix. And that again is solved either by mixing or - and I know you hate this word - mastering. But hey it´s basically the other side of any coin, doesnt matter much what you call it at this stage.

I´m shooting in the dark here but those are my best guesses.

If you send me the file or a snippet of it, I should be able to solve this with a better answer.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2012 7:27 AM in response to bruboband1

Weird. What is your level on the Output1-2 or the Master track in Logic? Is it clipping? Even if it´s clipping your track can be low as heck in MEAT/volume. That depends on what frequencies are clipping. If you see a lot of pump on the output meters in Logic before you bounce (meaning that the level typically pumps from -14 or even -20 db and up to 0 db or even clips a lil to +1-2 db, it´s a typical example of a situation where your tracks dynamic range is too high or unplanned for.

But here is what you can do:

1. Start Logic and start iTunes. Import a song you have bought in itunes to one stereo audio track in you Logic session. Make sure you dont have any plugins on this track or the master or output 1-2. Make sure the volume settings in both programs are the same (i.e.100% or whatever) Play the imorted commercial mixed song in both itunes and Logic. They should sound allmost identical in level; most probably iTunes will be a tad louder. BUT MOST IMPORTANT, your song should play just as high as the commercial mix, but I bet it doesn´t. Because you haven´t used limiters, maximizers and such.

I bet your problem lies in the dynamics of your mix. And that again is solved either by mixing or - and I know you hate this word - mastering. But hey it´s basically the other side of any coin, doesnt matter much what you call it at this stage.

I´m shooting in the dark here but those are my best guesses.

If you send me the file or a snippet of it, I should be able to solve this with a better answer.

Jan 10, 2012 9:19 AM in response to WizardSongs

Hey, First THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING!

My mix on the Stereo Out track is in red the whole time but it is NEVER clipping while playing it in Logic. After that when i BOUNCE it sounds exactly the same but with a very high reduction of volume!

I've just tried what you told me, putting a commercial track in itunes and Logic reproduce them and they sound with exactly the same volume! Then I compared my song and the commercial song and even without mastering mine has higher volume than the commercial one! And I haven't still Mastered!

So The problem must be at the BOUNCE?

I bounced on AIFF , 96kHz/24bit and Normalization Activated, I also tried with it Desactivated and the song started clipping , and also with the other option, protection only.... and It sounds again with lower volume on any other program. But really lower volume!

You told me about sending you my file, but I think It wouldn't work because you would receive a Bounced file which has already lost volume!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Jan 10, 2012 9:57 PM in response to bruboband1

You´re welcome BruBo.

Do what Guy said here, turn off the Normalization. Your problem must be there. If your track has more gain than a commercial pop/dance or allmost whatever uptempo production, your volume/gain is too high and normalisation reduces it hard. You CANNOT clip on the master out. You can clip on individual tracks if they are in the digital domain but your output ends up as analog. It will distort straight up.

I know you didn´t ask for a tip on Plug-Ins but download Ozone5 from Izotope (the demo) and put that on your output. Choose whatever preset and see/hear what it does to you master track and the bounce.

It´s a great mastering plug-in for those of us that doesn´t fully master mastering yet (can I even put it that way;)

Regards

Heyclown.

Jan 11, 2012 1:03 AM in response to bruboband1

Unless you have the worst music in the world and don't care about trashing your file.. do not bounce with the main stereo outs in the red, that is not the way to get volume... even if you don't her clipping it mangling bits right and left.

If you want to use normalization set the master outs so that the mix never bounces in the red.

You're bouncing to a 96kHz - 24 bit file so I assume you care about the quality of the mix. Also, if you're planning on mastering later, you don't want to work with a file that already been mangled.

I assume you listening to playback on the exact same equipment that Logic plays through.

If you're using iTunes for Playback make sure ALL of the enhancements are OFF.

This includes "Crossfade Playback", "Sound Enhancer" and "Soundcheck"

Jan 26, 2013 9:52 AM in response to bruboband1

I have two words for you sir. Adaptive limiter. Go to the Master Output fader, select one of the plug-in boxes, and under dynamics select Adaptive Limiter. Once this box pops up, you will see that somehow this plug-in is allowing 3 extra dB of gain in your music and is simultaneously cutting off any clipping distortion at 0.0 dB! And now you have more volume and less gabble.

Check out my stuff if you like! Youtube: Blue Spectral Storm

Less Volume When Bouncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.