Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double reminders showing up on my iPhone after turning on iCloud!

I have a 3GS phone (updated to most current iOS), and MacBook (MB)with Lion. I turned on iCloud and all contacts appear to be working/synching and calendar overall has synced. However, I keep getting double (or triple) reminders for various calendar events showing up on my iPhone now. I was also seeing all double entries for every event in iCal, but then unchecked "on my mac" calendars on my MB, and that rmoved most of my duplicate entries in iCal on MB. However, my iPhone calendar is a mess - reminders are listed twice (or more) and certain calendar events (randomly) appear 2-3x with no ryhme or reason that I can figure out. It is very annoying, and a total pain to go in and delete all the duplicate (or triple) events on my iPhone b/c you have to do it manually, individually, and my iPhone is also muuuuccchh slower now (dumb circle likes to think all the time when I'm accessing iPhone calendar or trying to make changes). Several times the calendar has frozen up while I'm trying to edit an entry so I have to exit calendar and then go back in. Any advice on how to get my iPhone calendar back in shape where I only have calendar entries showing up once (and reminders for those entries showing up once too). In changing to iCloud. it appears to have (randomly) edited the settings on some of my calendar events to say that I want to receive a reminder for that event multiple times (like "30 minutes before event", but showing that I want that reminder 3 times).

Second question - if I just want to turn off iCloud all together and go back to my manual cord syncing (which I didn't really mind all that much), do I just export my calendars & contacts to desktop for backup copy & then turn off iCloud on both my phone & my MB in system preferences? What are the important steps req'd to do this so I don't lose all my calendars/contacts? I'd be crushed to loose my (very full) calendar and my tons of contact entries... Also, I never did any photos/music/docs in iCloud so hopefully won't have prob there.

MacBook 2008, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 8:52 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2012 1:35 PM in response to aeclay

Same here, since I started using Icloud(just to be able to sync reminders) I see duplicate reminders almost daily. It's really making so much work that I'm considering just dumping icloud all together and going back to using calendar for my reminders(just calendar entries that remind me to do something). I'll miss the location based reminders, but spending time every day fixing the icloud sync errors is silly.

Perhaps an inventive programmer will write us an app to fix the icloud sync problems?

Any solution to these sync problems would be a big help.

By the way, I'm not using a blackberry. Strait IPhone4 to IMac syncing; in theory this should be easy.

Feb 29, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Islandbear_Whangarei

Hi, I've been dealing with this issue for the last few days. This is what worked for me:

On your iPhone or iPad, go in to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Under Accounts select iCloud. Turn on Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders, for example.

Then click the Home button and click on the Calendar App. Click on Calendars in the upper left. First make sure there's a Check mark in ALL from My Mac - then scroll down and check ALL iCloud. (There should be checks beside all of them. Then sync/refresh (curly arrow). Then UNCHECK "ALL from My Mac" and hit refresh.

Now... log in to iCloud on your computer (if you need to check your iCloud login details it should be the same as your Apple ID and password) Click on the Calendar icon and delete any and all dupilcates - it's easier to do on the computer than it is on the iPhone. You can create different calendars like work, birthdays, anniversaries, etc and assign a color. You can then double click on any event to edit the details and make adjustments and also select the type of calendar. Next, when you sync the Calendar on your mobile device, it will update.

Of course, you may have to do this once or twice to weed out the dupes, but now when you create an event on your mobile device, it will automatically update to the iCloud and sync to all of your mobile devices with the same account.

The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to sync Notes. For some reason when I turn on sync Notes it asks me to set up a mobileme account - but if I'm already syncing everything else using my Apple ID, why do I have to set up yet another e-mail address? It's also interesting to clarify that the Notes App is dfferent to the e-mail Notes app which you can switch on in Mail, but as I don't sync my mail with iCloud it's a bit redundant. If anyone has a fix or a work around for that please advise.

Anyway - I hope my fix for the other issues helped. Good luck.

Double reminders showing up on my iPhone after turning on iCloud!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.