Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External disk drives not mounting at boot

External OWC disk drives attached to my 'mid-2011' 2.7 GHz iMac running 10.7.2 sometimes fail to mount and/or show in the Finder on boot.

Other times they all do. No other phenomena. No other faults once mounted - IOW, they don't ever dismount.

They just fail to show at all (in Disk Utility, for example, etc).

Anyone any idea what could be going on, please? An otherwise perfectly-operating machine.

TIA!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Clean machine... no haxies; no Microsoft etc

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:19 AM

15 replies

Oct 19, 2012 4:58 PM in response to Mark Sealey

I have the same issue on several of my Mac's. It is particulary bad if I use a WD book drive. I find this anonying because the people using the computer don't realize timemachine is not working and not backuping up there systems. When I come along the drive has not been mounted for weeks. If I simply unplug it and plug it back in it mounts and everything is fine for a few weeks. If you leave the mac running there is no problem because the drive never unmounts. The problem is also seen with a segate drive that powers off the firewire. USB or firewire makes no difference I have different drives with both types of connections. Interesting I have a Nexstar enclosure that doesn't seem to have the problem but I can't be sure cause it happens at random.

External disk drives not mounting at boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.