Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Hard Drives on Xserve

Hello there,

I'm a bit puzzled regarding an Xserve drives upgrade.

Xserve Intel (2007) with 3 drives .. 1 Sys .. and 2 300GB in a RAID mirror config for the data ..

I got 2 new modules of 1TB each to upgrade the drives ... Should I just swap one .. format and wait for the data to mirror and then swap the other one and repeat ...

Or should i create an Disk image ... swap the 2 disks .. format them and set them in a RAID .. and then .. restore the disk image?

Sys running is 10.5.8

thanks 🙂

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:15 AM

1 reply

Jan 10, 2012 9:21 AM in response to fly

Mirrored RAIDs require two equally sized drives. You cannot swap in a larger drive and wait for it to be mirrored. What you have to do is break the RAID such that you now have two discrete drives. Remove the old drives and install the new ones. Install one of the old drives into an external enclosure (or internal if you have additional drive bays.) Configure the new RAID then clone the old drive to the new one using Disk Utility.

Upgrading Hard Drives on Xserve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.