Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set my Cinema display on my Mac Pro to be the default display?

Hello!

I am using a Cinema display on my MacPro, but recently purchased a Mini-Display port adapter to be able to hook up another DVI monitor to the right side

side of the Cinema display (to use for pallettes on CS5). I hookep up the adapter and both screens are functional, but my small monitor has now beome the

default monitor for the system (ie my dock and my toolbar now use my smaller side-screen instead of my Cinema). How can I make my Cinema display my main default monitor for the computer? I have tried looking at all of the display options in systems but nothing seems to work. Thanks for any advice!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:19 AM

System preferences > Displays > | Arrange | ...

... drag the little Menubar off the icon of whatever screen it is on and drop it onto the one you want to be the Primary.

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No that didn't work either.

OSX 10.8.5. This is a new problem and started 3 days ago.

Yes I do know how to use the "Arrangement" of the displays, but when booting up the secondary display takes precedent and shows the grey Apple screen & spinning wheel.

In fact, if I don't turn the secondary display "on", the Mac Pro will not boot until it is turned on.

Yep, sounds odd.

Aug 9, 2015 8:21 PM in response to LionCrab1

I also found that there were problems with startup. It frequently crashed.

I fixed the problem, and it was easy.

I needed to reset the PRAM (called NVRAM in newer Macs), as follows:

At startup, immediately press all these keys: Option - Command - P - R.

The startup "fanfare" "ta-da" sound, should sound twice.

Then let go of the above keys and let the Mac Pro continue its startup.

The display screen issue should fix itself, as will several issues it may have.

You will need to check your language, clock and other settings in the System Preferences.

Good luck.

How can I set my Cinema display on my Mac Pro to be the default display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.