5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2012 7:43 AM by Kirby Krieger
1 Open Loop Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

Is there a way to organize Faces?

Such as using folders?

Or some method of grouping them?

It appears to me that I can't. I have to view all the faces, all the time.

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (71,835 points)

faces.jpg

You cannot group the faces in Folders, but there are two different views to browse them:

• If you go to the Faces View from the button in the Library Inspector, you see all the faces, too many...
    • If you go to the Faces View from the button in the Toolbar, you see only the faces that occur in the currently selected item: Project, folder, album.

Most of the times I use the second view; this way you can work with a subset of faces.

Regards

Léonie

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,470 points)

One of the things that is not explained in the User Manual, is that the Faces View at the top of the Library tab of the Inspector is best used for _naming_ Faces, not for viewing named Faces (imho).

To view named Faces, select a container (or containers), and click the Faces icon on the toolbar (or type {Shift+"f"}).  You can then click the tile "Hide Unnamed Faces" to effect its eponymous task.

There is no way to group Faces in Faces View.

You can, of course use the Faces rule in any container search, as well as create Smart Albums or Albums based on that rule.  And you can organize these with Folders.

• 1 Open Loop Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

leonieDF wrote:

• If you go to the Faces View from the button in the Toolbar, you see only the faces that occur in the currently selected item: Project, folder, album.

That is very helpful.

• tylercat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ive actually never named the faces within aperture, as I previously read reviews that said it greatly slowed down the process within the app.  How do,you feel about this?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,470 points)

tylercat wrote:

I've actually never named the faces within aperture, as I previously read reviews that said it greatly slowed down the process within the app.  How do,you feel about this?

Faces is still the slowest "mode" in Aperture, but if you find it useful there is no reason not to turn it on.  (In the past, disabling Faces boosted Aperture's performance.  I don't think that is true with the most recent version, running on appropriate hardware.)