Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the help command on menu do not working

On the Safari menu bar when I hit "help", nothing happens!?

Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 10:00 AM

10 replies

Jan 10, 2012 12:23 PM in response to XTDiver

Launch the Console application by entering the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Enter "help" (without the quotes) in the filtering text box. Click the "Clear Display" icon in the toolbar. Try again to open the Help menu in any application. Post the messages, if any, that appear in the Console window -- the text, please, not a screenshot.

Jan 10, 2012 6:36 PM in response to XTDiver

Go to ~/Library/Preferences

Move the com.apple.help.plist and com.apple.helpviewer.plist files from the Prefernces folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. Try clicking Help from the menu bar.

If you aren't sure how to find those files open a Finder window.

Select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. It has a small house icon.

Then open the Library folder then the Preferences folder.

Jan 11, 2012 9:48 AM in response to XTDiver

I do not know if related but I also have a problem that I can not sign in to Apple Store with the message: "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact Support for assistance." for which I have tried all recommended action, except taking my computer to Apple Service!

I think the help was working either with this.....

Jan 11, 2012 9:49 AM in response to XTDiver

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account, or is system-wide. Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select “Help” from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Any application you run will behave as if you were running it for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

As Guest, launch the application(s) and test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Jan 11, 2012 10:23 AM in response to XTDiver

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. First, disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, if applicable, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including your login items.

Launch the application(s) and test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.)

Jan 11, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

OK! Problem solved!! USER ERROR!!

When you indicate peripherals I realized I have a second monitor connected, but was off, only use for editing video!

Found the help page was set to this second monitor and found it is set also for all other applications, automatically.

I turn on the monitor and found the help page there...

Thanks a lot for the help..

I will try not to repeat this user error...

Thanks a lot for taking the time and effort...

the help command on menu do not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.