Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove the Recovery HD from my desktop?

Hi there, hope someone can help!

For some reason, I have an icon for the Recovery HD on my desktop, and try as I might I can't get rid of it!

I've tried:

Unmounting disk - reappears at each boot (but not if I log out and then back in again)

Adding the disk's ID to /etc/fstab with the noauto option - does nothing!

I think the icon appeared when I originally installed Lion - but from what I can see from numerous Google searches, it shouldn't be there. Just to confirm I didn't have a Recovery HD partition or create one myself prior to Lion.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 1:31 PM

15 replies

Jan 10, 2012 1:35 PM in response to jtpollard

Lion creates a Recovery HD during installation. If you truly wish to rid yourself of it then you need to repartition the drive (not just reformat) and then install Lion from scratch. This would require reinstalling Snow Leopard if you upgraded to Lion or using the Lion Internet Recovery network installation if you have a new model supporting the network installation.

Jan 10, 2012 1:47 PM in response to jtpollard

Just a guess here...

Did you use the following command in Terminal to allow showing the Recovery HD in Disk Utilities (Debug -> Show All Partitions) and then have it mounted in Disk Utilities? If so, unmount the Recovery HD in Disk Utilities and unshow all partitions then change the value of '1' to '0' in the Terminal command (run it again) so you don't accidently show and mount it again. Or just unmount Recovery HD in Disk Utiliies and it shouldn't show on the desktop when you have 'Hard Disks' selected in Finder / Preferences / General 'Show on Desktop'.

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Jan 10, 2012 2:50 PM in response to jtpollard

jtpollard wrote:

Adding the disk's ID to /etc/fstab with the noauto option - does nothing!

Put fstab back the way it was.

For some reason, I have an icon for the Recovery HD on my desktop, and try as I might I can't get rid of it!

What are the results of the following command?

'sudo diskutil list'

Look for the recovery partition. Does it say that its type is 'Apple_HFS', or 'Apple_Boot'?

To change it to 'Apple_Boot':

'sudo asr adjust --target /dev/disk0s3 -settype "Apple_Boot" '

Replace 'disk0s3' with whatever the recovery partition actually is.

Then do the 'diskutil list' again and verify the type changed.

W A R N I N G: You can erase your data when you start playing with this sort of thing. Do at your own risk.

Jan 15, 2012 6:57 AM in response to Marc Wilson

Thanks - that worked - I "cloned" my recovery partition onto my second internal hard drive - and then will be setting up RAID1 on the primary bnoot partition - but figured it woudl be good to have a second hidden Recovery Partition ont he second drive - just in case - then again with 50Mbps donwload speed it doesn't take long to download a Mac OS X Install.

Note for using the diskutil appleRAID command - the partitions that you mirror have to be the same size (or at least the second member added has to be at least as big as the existing member).

How can I remove the Recovery HD from my desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.