Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse click stops working after Lion upgrade

I've recently upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 and am now seeing the following mouse & trackpad "click" issue:

- My mouse click stops working (note: click function only) and this affects both my trackpad and wireless mouse click functions at the same time.

- This only happens periodically, in that if I restart my machine enough times (up to 5+) occasionally the mouse click function returns.

- The fact that this affects both my trackpad and mouse (always at the same time) makes me suspect this is 'software related' issue (as opposed to hardware problem).

- I have placed two calls to Apple now but the problem is still occurring, so far they have taken me through the following steps:

- Call 1: (Note: I performed both these steps as directed by the Apple support team, which initally fixed my issue on start-up but an hour later the same problem started occurring again)

- 1) Resetting System Management Controller (SMC) (see details below)

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Click on the link above or copy and paste the following address into your Web browser to view the article: <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US>

- 2) Resetting PRAM & NVRAM

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Click on the link above or copy and paste the following address into your Web browser to view the article: <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US>

- Call 2:

- Apple support team suggest disabling 3rd party applications on start-up, which I have done but this has not fixed the problem.

I would love to know if other people have seen this issue OR even better can suggest a solution. Alternatively if these is some way to monitor how 'mouse_clicks' are being processed at runtime that would be interesting also.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 3:19 PM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2012 10:42 PM in response to dave_eason

Hello. Thanks much for posting such a clear report. I have a similar problem -- but for me it is more rare... like once in a 1-2 week period I have this problem, namely "mouse click stops working totally on both magic trackpad and built-in trackpad, and I have to reset."

-- You post as a reply to your original post that you have solved it because you found that you had another wireless mouse on nearby. You said it was embarrassing that that was the answer. But that doesn't really make sense. just because it is connecting to another wireless mouse doesn't mean that the other mice should stop functioning. It's not really an answer...

-- In any case, it doesn't answer my more intermittent problem. HOWEVER, I will admit that I had an additional bluetooth mouse set up under Bluetooth... but that additional mouse was turned OFF. BUT, just in case it helped, I have now removed the configurations for two bluetooth devices I had under bluetooth (that extra mouse and my mobile phone, which I never connect to anyway.) Perhaps that will decrease the computer getting into that frozen "can't click" state. we will see...

So -- thanks again, your post gave me an idea, namely to clean up my bluetooth configs so that I have only two items, the ones i really use: apple bluetooth keyboard and apple bluetooth magic trackpad. Fingers crossed.

mouse click stops working after Lion upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.