Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Places: what means a gold pin?

In Places View, if I click a red pin:

- it turns gold

- the Images associated with that pin are selected in the Browser (e.g.: "2469 selected - 33407 items displayed")

If I click the black-to-blue arrow on the right edge of the black pin label, the Browser is filtered to the Images associated with that pin:

- all other pins disappear

- the pin turns red

- the view zooms to the pin location

- a Filter is set with the Rule "Area" (no arguments are shown in the Filter HUD)

- the Browser shows only those Images associated with that pin (e.g.: "2469 items displayed")

If I click that red pin:

- the pin turns gold

- all Images in the Browser are selected (e.g.: "2469 selected - 2469 items displayed")

No problems so far. Clicking a pin selects its Images; clicking a label arrow filters to those Images. Gold = Images are selected.

What I want to do is select _two_ pins (I want to select, for example, just the wildlife refuges along a coast). And here the behavior breaks down (or floods my capacity for comprehension).

Clear the Filter (or click the "Back" tile at the top left of the map).

- Several red pins appear.

Click one of them.

- It turns gold, and the Images associated with that pin are selected in the Browser (e.g.: 41 selected - 33407 items displayed).

Click another pin.

- it turns gold, and the Images associated with that pin are selected in the Browser (e.g.: 7 selected - 33407 items displayed).

- the previously selected pin returns to red

Still all OK.

Now, "{Command}+click" another red pin -- not too close the gold pin.

- it, too, turns gold

- but there is no change in the Browser.

You can turn as pins gold in this way as your like. The Browser selection never changes.

So "Gold" does not equal "Image associated with this pin are selected in the Browser". That's not good.

It gets worse.

Now, "{Command}+click" a red pin _close to_ the gold pin.

- it turns gold

- sometimes -- and this seems to depend on more than the distance between the pins -- the Images associated with this pin _will be_ selected in the Browser: the count of selected Images is incremented to include all Images associates with each gold pin.

What am I missing?

And what is the easiest way to group the Images associated with different pins? (Currently I select, flag, unselect, and repeat, then go to Flagged View. Nothing wrong with that, but seems like wearing a parka when a wind-breaker would do.)

As always, thanks.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- added final question.

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 G / 500 G internal / 5 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Pho

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:43 PM

No idea on the gold pin thing, looks like a bit of syntactic sugar that wasn't thought out very well.

As for grouping have you tried opening the smart filer in the Places browser?

User uploaded file

You can add your own Places rule so in this example the map has the pin for both these places in view. I needed to clear the Area rule as that seemed to bring in a much larger view then I wanted.

Not sure if this is what you mean by grouping different pins.

regards

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2012 5:43 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

No idea on the gold pin thing, looks like a bit of syntactic sugar that wasn't thought out very well.

As for grouping have you tried opening the smart filer in the Places browser?

User uploaded file

You can add your own Places rule so in this example the map has the pin for both these places in view. I needed to clear the Area rule as that seemed to bring in a much larger view then I wanted.

Not sure if this is what you mean by grouping different pins.

regards

Jan 10, 2012 11:17 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

😁😁 Beware, some new interface design elements will give you caries.

I prefer the filter HUD to clicking on the pins, it is hard to tell by the display on the map which region of the map is associated with the pin at the current zoom level.

regards

Jan 11, 2012 7:00 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Excellent suggestion 🙂 . Do you know what the Places Rule searches? This is where I feel the ground go soft: I don't know the relationship between the names I've given to Places, the names which show on the pin's black labels, and the "areas" represented by the pins. I'm assuming there are two separate look-up tables, one for my Places, and one that Aperture generates based on names from the underlying maps (i.e.: Google).

Apologies for hashing this up -- I'm not getting it.

Your method of reading the black label text and entering it into the Places Rule argument (is that the right word?) does solve my problem. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2012 7:07 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

I prefer the filter HUD to clicking on the pins, it is hard to tell by the display on the map which region of the map is associated with the pin at the current zoom level.

Exactly. The pin means something specific to the program, but that meaning is both dynamic and not shown (afaict) to the user until the pin is selected (and even then it is hard to determine).

See my question in my reply to Frank ("What does the Rule "Places" search?").

I know I started down this path in another thread to which you kindly responded -- I wasn't able to turn it up yet -- but I will.

Places: what means a gold pin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.