Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Pre Installed Mac Apps (Chess, etc.)

Hello all, I'm new to mac, but have alot of computer background and feel as if I'm learning my way around pretty well. I have a 13" Macbook Pro (Feb 2011) with OSX Lion.

My question is this - can I delete unneeded and unused applications that come pre installed with OSX Lion (Chess, Photo Booth, etc.)? I never have and know I never will use these, I know this because I have no clue how to play chess and could download a different chess game if I want it back. As for Photo Booth I have owned and worked on computers for around 10-11 years and never saved more than backgrounds or the occasional emailed picture to my computer, which are usually deleted within a few days. I guess I'm just not a picture guy. Lol. I've got facebook if I want to keep them around, and a iPhone to take pictures of myself with.

I have found how to delete them, by going to get info and changing the permissions to read and write, and actually did delete chess with no issues. However after a few minutes I chickened out and put it back from the trash can and fixed the permissions back the way they were.

Will deleting them cause future updates to fail?

Anyone else done this?

If I can do so, what apps are deff. DO NOT TOUCH applications? Any?

I don't plan on deleting things that have obvious system connections, like font book or dictionary, of course.

I don't mean to sound like a you-know-what but please don't reply if you haven't done this or don't know from past experience. I don't need nor want any "it could" or "it might" answers. Again, not to be a horses rear. 🙂 😝

Also this isn't a HD memory issue... it's a OCD issue. Lol. I just like keeping my computer neat and tidy and see no reason to waste HD space (even if it's a very small amount) on stuff I do not want or use.

I know I can hide them, move them into folders, etc. I've read that on other forums. But thats not what I want to do.

Go ahead and say it, overkill right? I can't help it. 😝 Lol. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:02 PM

38 replies

Apr 28, 2017 7:54 AM in response to chadwalters

Chess can be deleted without consequence, PhotoBooth I am not so sure about, it may have other involvements.

GarageBand (if you have it and don't need it) may also be deleted, and will reclaim more space than other apps.

Updates will still work.

That's about it, I generally do not recommend removing apps from Macs, but some at least are safe if you do.

Aug 17, 2017 11:04 AM in response to Rosemary S.

As I noted, you cannot remove Automator. If you have no plans to purchase anything from the App Store, you still can't remove the App Store app since it is also used for OS updates. You should also never remove Console, Activity Monitor, Keychain Access, Terminal, System Information, iTunes or Disk Utility. This also isn't necessarily a complete and comprehensive list of "never remove" items.

Otherwise, if you have no plans to ever use Font Book, Mission Control, iBooks, etc., you can delete every other app in the Applications folder if you want. Such as, do you always use Chrome or Firefox? If so, you can remove Safari. It's just another browser. Never plan on installing Windows? Then you don't need Boot Camp Assistant.

However, don't overdo it just because you can. You'd likely end up having to reinstall at least some items in the Applications or Utilities folder when you realize some day that, "Oops! I need that one."

Trash the ones you think are truly useless to both you and using the OS. Like Chess, FaceTime, Photo Booth and Reminders. Think twice about ones you may not use often, but are a useful tool, such TextEdit, Maps and others.

Given how old my initial response was, for El Capitan and later, you will also have to temporarily disable System Integrity Protection before you can delete any Apple installed apps. Even using sudo isn't enough to remove them with SIP enabled.

Also be aware removing apps only removes the main app itself. A lot of supporting framework and other system files the apps use will still be on the drive. They'll just be orphaned without an app to invoke their use. DO NOT try to dig into the system to remove these related files. Remove too much, or the wrong items, and you can easily end up with a non-bootable computer.

Before removing the apps, copy them to an external drive. It's a heck of a lot easier to copy back apps you decide you do need than reinstalling the OS to get them back on the drive.

Jan 10, 2012 5:15 PM in response to chadwalters

I suppose it depends on what you think you may gain from deleting them. PhotoBooth and Chess for example take up a total of about 10MB only. So they won't gain you much ground. You can move them to a miscellaneous folder, where they won't be updated, but that probably won't matter if you won't be using them. But others such as Safari, Mail, etc. can cause a great deal of headaches if deleted.

Cheers

Jan 10, 2012 5:26 PM in response to mulligans missus

Thanks for the help. I don't plan on getting rid of Mail, Safari, any of the actual "core" (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) applications. (Mail, Safari, Address Book, Font Book, Dictionary, iCal, iTunes will all stay put as I use those.) I just want to get rid of Photo Booth and Chess mainly. I'm not worried about the space either as I meantioned above, its just a personal preference of mine to not have them if I don't need them.

I guess I should have been more specific on what my question actually was... which is if I delete Photo Booth and Chess, will future updates via using Software Update from the Apple Menu fail? Or will it cause any other issues with my system? I don't want to delete these two apps and then not be able to receive updates for my system. Or delete them and sacrifice other features that I do use.

Thanks again.

Jan 10, 2012 6:42 PM in response to chadwalters

You are seriously overthinking this.

Leave the 10 MB of apps alone, and start learning about CarboCopyClone or SuperDuper as a "build a clone-backup" to be able to rebuild. Alsp buy an external hard disk from macsales.com to make that clone.

Also you need to just spend time reaing the forums ... reading an learning about PRAM and SMC resets ... learning about how to make a "thumb-drive Recovery Partition" in case you need to reinstall the system.

Learn what is *important* about Mac and forget about things that all of the "forum veterans" will tell you are irrelevant.

Deleting Pre Installed Mac Apps (Chess, etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.