Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my mvi/avi files have converted to jpg...

I realize this topic has been previously discussed, but I could not find anything that has been helpful.

I have old videos from Europe that are backed up on an external hard drive multiple times.

I have one laptop using snow leopard, one iMac using Lion.

I had upgraded iPhoto stupidly and can no longer access the mvi files as they have switched to .jpg.

I've tried importing library.iPhoto6 files to lion and that came up short, though I may have done it incorrectly, as the files acted as if they were there, but gave me the error "!" within a triangle sign.

I've also tried retreiving the files through the "Original" folder and nothing there either. I even changed the file type manually and it just plays a one second clip of a still...

I'm at a loss of what to do and I know this has happened to many people so please help. I also know there was a virus years ago doing this affecting PCs as well. Any relation?

I will be indebted to you forever if someone can please help me. I've spent hours trying to resurrect these as I don't know when I'll be back to Europe and I accidently wiped the SD cards as well...

Thanks!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:25 PM

24 replies

Jan 10, 2012 7:09 PM in response to roshjobinson

Where and how are you seeing these JPEGs?

How did you upgrade?

How are you restoring with TM?

I've tried importing library.iPhoto6 files to lion and that came up short, though I may have done it incorrectly, as the files acted as if they were there, but gave me the error "!" within a triangle sign.

It is really strongly recommended to never go inside the iPhoto library - it is extremely easy to make a simple mistake and corrupt yoru library causing data loss - adn there are no user servicable parts in it

give no real information about what you have done one suggestion is to restore a previous library using TM - launch TM and go back to a time the library was good and select the iPhoto library - click the restore button and use the keep both libraries option so you do not overwrite your existing library

depress the option key and launch iPhoto and use the select library option to select this newly restored library and see what you have

LN

Jan 10, 2012 9:15 PM in response to LarryHN

Where and how are you seeing these JPEGs?

On my macbook and in my external hard drive. Within folders I created as albums in iPhoto

How did you upgrade?

Just to the most recent upgrade. The issue happened once I switched to the most current iPhoto (version 9). Now 9.2.1.

I've tried installing iPhoto '09 since I still had a disk, but it still said it needed to upgrade the library to view the photos.

How are you restoring with TM?

Not sure what you mean by TM.

I've tried accessing the library within the hard drive using the option click, but it wont let me open something not on the Mac hard drive.

I tried dragging and dropping the library.iphoto6 file onto my desktop and opening it through iPhoto and that just caused a mess on my desktop and it would show the photos/movies, though it took up the space and retained information of each.

Jan 10, 2012 9:36 PM in response to roshjobinson

Sorry but this makes no sense

Are you seeing the JPEGs in iPhoto or using the finder (again you really should never use the finder to go inside the iPhoto library)

As to the upgrade - what version did yo have and how did you upgrade

When you tried to go back to iPhoto '09 - that simply will not work - iPhoto '11 (version 9.x.x) has a totally different library structure than iPhoto '09 (version 8.x.x) - to go back to '09 you must load a backup of the '09 library first

I have old videos from Europe that are backed up on an external hard drive multiple times.

exactly how are these "backed up"?

TM is Time Machine - the backup program that comes with your Mac

I've tried accessing the library within the hard drive using the option click, but it wont let me open something not on the Mac hard drive.

Then you have a problem since you can open an iPhoto library on any volume formated mac OS extended (journaled)

library.iphoto6 is notyour photos - it is one of the iPhoto database files and as initially stated you should never be seeing it - messing around inside of the iPhoto library does not work

LN

Sep 25, 2012 5:42 AM in response to roshjobinson

I have had the same problem. I'm not sure, LarryHN, if youre not understanding the problem. We both woke up one morning and certain video files in iPhoto will not play. When I click "show file info" it shows the name of the file, ie. DSCF1316.AVI. Next when you right click and "show in finder" iPhoto opens the folder it should be in but does not highlight anything. A manual search of the same folder in Finder revealed that 2 copies of a file DSCF1316.jpg exists in the correctly dated folder. Therefore, it appears that somehow in the saving process, iPhoto has converted AVI files to .JPG's. Does anyone have an explanation for how this is possible?

You can safely assume I did not change the extension myself or anything like that. There happens to be no Time Machine back-up that includes these files unfortunately. So I am looking for a possible explanation if someone has one.

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2013 6:23 AM in response to TheHand76

hi, i've got the same problem as you two, video files in iphoto have been converted to jpg files. i have never gone into the iphoto library, etc. have never done anything other than import, then look at films and videos. at some point, probably a just over a year ago, i realized that my videos had been converted to jpg and i searched the internet for a solution. i remember at the time i found a few promising sites that seemed to have answers, but i never got around to following up. now that i'm finally getting around to trying to deal with the problem i can't find a thing on the internet about it.

so, did you ever figure out a solution?

Jun 20, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Brad Crews

Hi Brad. No I was never able to find a solution to this problem. And furthermore, every employee I spoke to at the Apple store, somewhat condescendingly suggested that it HAD to be my fault; that I must have changed something accidentally. This seems to be a common technique in these Apple communities when the person speaking/writing simply doesn't know the answer. So at any rate, we are still stuck with videos that iPhoto is treating as jpegs.

Jun 20, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Brad Crews

Hey Brad,

Yeah I still haven't found a solution and just accepted it as fact that all those videos were corrupted. I should've backed up the cards in full at the time as I now do with every photo or video I take.

The only solution it seems is if somehow you can find a backup of the original iPhoto application on a hard drive that has not been updated to anything after iPhoto 9 (which I couldn't get to work on an un-updated computer)...

Jun 20, 2013 6:54 AM in response to TheHand76

Actually no one can answer questions that do not contain the required information - and when the posted refuses to supply the information when requested multiple times

The mose likely cause of this is user error in exporting photos and videos from iPhoto incorrectly and then using those incorrect images to create a new library - but without the requested information it could be one of several causes all of which are much less likely than user error

So yes it is true that the memvers of this community do no know the answer - and no one will until the poster actually answers questions and supplies information so answers other than wild guesses can be given - at this stage the post is still a "How long is a piect of string" question and without more infromation nothing more can be said

Have a really nice day

LN

Jun 20, 2013 9:41 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your kind and constructive answer. Just in case you didn't notice, there's an option on the upper right hand corner of this page where you can 'stop email notifications'. I suggest you press it so you won't be bothered by more moronic questions from people like us who are so inferior to you. It must really be difficult for you. I hope your life gets better soon, seriously.

Jun 20, 2013 11:59 AM in response to roshjobinson

i'm totally with you on that 'never use iphoto' thing. it's a really badly designed program and it's strange how defensive people can get about it. anyway, i'm going to give myself a few more days to see if i can solve this and if i can't i'm just going to transfer everything back out of iphoto and find another application that hopefully won't just eat my happy video memories ) (better to laugh about it than cry, right?)

Jun 20, 2013 12:07 PM in response to LarryHN

larry, do you really not understand how condescending and rude your response was to thehand76? if you are interested in helping, why don't you just ask for the information you think you need, instead of berating people who don't know as much as you do about computers? and i hate to break it to you, but, at least in my case, the problem is certainly with the application itself and not user error....unless it's somehow possible to 'incorrectly' open the program, import files via 'import' in the menu, look at those photo/video files in the iphoto viewer window, then quit the application. so, unless you have something genuinely constructive, or at least polite, to say, please, take your superior attitude out of this conversation....unless you can solve our problems, in which case all is forgiven )

All my mvi/avi files have converted to jpg...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.