Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in Isight and Keyboard Backlight not working...Please please help

Hi Everyone,

I bought the laptop of my friend, its Macbook Pro 13 Mac OS X 10.6.7. This macbook was made and sold Mid 2009 and he upgraded the software from the original installed software.

Processor: 2.26 GHz Interl Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

User uploaded file

Last year, November 2011, when I was using SKYPE chatting with a friend the camera (Built in Isight) turned off and at the same time the backlight of my keyboard did the same thing as well. Both turned off all at the same time. I tried using different account name but still did not work. I also tried Ibooth, still did not work.

I already tried everything -- troubleshooting which I found here on Apple, however, it doesn't help my problems at all. I read some of the discussion threads here but I don't know where to start after doing all the possibities to recover my camera and keyboard backlight.

Please please help me....

Thanks,

Dong

Philippines

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:12 AM

Welcome, Doug!

(1) Because both your iSight and backlighting are not working, and because you seem to have tried the appropriate reset as well as both the application and user-specific troubleshooting suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090, I think yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix.

Unless you have a current backup, make one now.

Then use the final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

If you do not have access to a local AASP, international contact info is available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

(2) BTW, your posted system info shows that you are using an outdated version of Snow Leopard. Unless you have compelling reason for NOT doing so, you should update to the most current version. If you do not already have a favorite method for updating, here is what I do:

• Use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

• Then download and apply the latest Combo Update

For your OS, currently, the latest version is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

• Repair permissions again immediately following the

system restart that completes the Combo update.

Properly applying the Combo version of updates can sometimes correct strange problems, so you may want to try it before taking your Mac for service.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2012 8:12 AM in response to ddabarqu

Welcome, Doug!

(1) Because both your iSight and backlighting are not working, and because you seem to have tried the appropriate reset as well as both the application and user-specific troubleshooting suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090, I think yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix.

Unless you have a current backup, make one now.

Then use the final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

If you do not have access to a local AASP, international contact info is available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

(2) BTW, your posted system info shows that you are using an outdated version of Snow Leopard. Unless you have compelling reason for NOT doing so, you should update to the most current version. If you do not already have a favorite method for updating, here is what I do:

• Use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

• Then download and apply the latest Combo Update

For your OS, currently, the latest version is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

• Repair permissions again immediately following the

system restart that completes the Combo update.

Properly applying the Combo version of updates can sometimes correct strange problems, so you may want to try it before taking your Mac for service.

Jan 13, 2012 3:22 AM in response to EZ Jim

Hi Sir,

Good Day!

Thank you for your quick response and being so helpful. I tried what you have suggested, however, it doesn't change anything - built isight camera still not working. I found a thread which gives answer to my KB issues, it did work - i got my kb backlight again. wheeew...!!!.

Is it possible to redownload the combo update again and do the process all over again? Do you know by any chance if this will work this time? I planned to reformat my macbook with its original software and do the back up. I still have the discs. Then, will do the process you told me - ugrade it with the newest software you provided me. Do you think this will work?

I just need to try every possibilities to my macbook works before I will contact the apple service center.

Your immediate reply is greatly appreciated.

PS. Please send me your fullname and address where I can send the money to you, Sir through Wester Union. This amount is not too big but somehow this will help you in a little way as you continue helping me and the others.

You are indeed a blessing to everyone here on Apple community.

Thanks,

Dong

Philippines

Jan 13, 2012 7:47 AM in response to ddabarqu

You're most welcome, Doug.

Thank you, but I do not want any money. As explained here, I am a user like you posting here to help other Apple users: http://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/etiquette.html

Here are my responses to the new information and questions you have posted.

ddabarqu wrote: ... I found a thread which gives answer to my KB issues, it did work - i got my kb backlight again. wheeew...!!!.

I am happy you found out how to make your keyboard work. I expect that means there is nothing wrong with the backlight hardware so you are wise to now concentrate on proper iSight operation. The suggestions in

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 will be your best hope.

ddabarqu wrote: ... Is it possible to redownload the combo update again and do the process all over again?

Yes. All you need to do is to restart your Mac and then follow the steps I posted, beginning and ending with permissions repair.

ddabarqu wrote: ... Do you know by any chance if this will work this time?

No, I do not know. The only way to know whether it will work is to try it.

The good part of this is that it costs nothing except a few minutes of your time to find out whether the Combo Update will fix your problem. If it does not help, it cannot harm anything.

ddabarqu wrote: ... I planned to reformat my macbook with its original software and do the back up. I still have the discs.

Unless you have a current backup, make one now!

You can make as many backups as you like after you have reformatted your Mac, but, unless it is already backed up, all your information will be lost when you erase and resinstall. Therefore, you need to have your important info backed up BEFORE erasing.

ddabarqu wrote: ... Then, will do the process you told me - ugrade it with the newest software you provided me. Do you think this will work?

After you backup your important information, reformatting and reinstalling everything cannot hurt your Mac. However, it takes MUCH longer than simply applying the Combo Update. That is why I recommend trying the Combo first.

I do not know whether erase and reinstall will work. The only way to know whether it will work is to try it. As noted above, you may be able to save time if the Combo works without reformatting.

I do know that you can use the method I suggested to apply or reapply the latest Combo Update for your Mac OS at any time.

The only way I would recommend formatting without trying the Combo firstis if you have moved, deleted, modified, or added third-party software you believe is conflicting with your current Mac OS. If you have been unable to uninstall, correct, or undo changes you have made to your system, reformatting (using a Secure Erase) and reinstalling everything would be a better choice than trying the Combo Update.

If you decide to Secure Erase, writing zeros one time will probably take a couple of hours. There is no need to wait the additional time required for writing multiple zero passes.

ddabarqu wrote: ...Also, I found out that the serial number of built in Isight camera looks really really weird.

Yes, your iSight's serial number looks strange to me, too. However, I doubt that your iSight S/N determines whether your iSight works. If it you cannot get your iSight working using these suggestions, you can ask your Apple Service Technician if your S/N might be part of the problem.

Built in Isight and Keyboard Backlight not working...Please please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.