Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: "This device is already associated with an apple ID"

Guys,

Just bought a used iPhone 4S yesterday and now I cannot use iTunes match. I receive the error above and says I have to wait 83 days.

Is there a way to get around this or do I need to contact the original owner and have them somehow deauthorize this iphone?

TIA

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:45 PM

14 replies

Jan 10, 2012 7:53 PM in response to Riley Brown

You have to wait the 83 days. The original owner can remove the association with his Apple ID, but removing a device from an Apple ID does not override the 90 day timer. The timer must complete 90 days from the day the device was associated before it can be associated to another Apple ID.

Read all about it: iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID,http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

Feb 12, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Riley Brown

This is incredibly stupid! I have an iPhone 4 and cannot get over 800 songs because of this lock out. I have THREE more days thankfully, but this NEEDS to be fixed! When I called Apple support they wanted me to purchase a year Protection Plan for $99 or a ONE TIME fee of $29.99 to help me resolve this issue. I asked her if it would be fixed and she said that 'Tech support would help me with that'. I REALLY want my music NOW, but I refuse to pay those fees, especially because I have only a few days left.

Dec 3, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Riley Brown

Riley Brown wrote:

You're not going to like the answer. You're screwed basically. Once the timer starts, you have to wait. Bummer.

Here's a bigger problem. In many cases- nobody is quite sure of what exactly is causing the timer to start in the first place. So you could sit out the 90 days, only to have it start again.

I am getting that same error message on my iMac which has been logged into the same Apple ID since I bought it 5 years ago. It started last week for no apparent reason and Apple Support basically says "it must be your fault".

Incredibly frustrated.

Dave

Dec 10, 2012 3:25 AM in response to Riley Brown

Im sorry Riley, yesterday i was googling to find something and i read an article manage devices with your apple ID, i clicked that link and it took me to the page where i entered my Apple ID there i saw my old devices which i sold years back and never deleted them from my ID, i hope those users also faced same problem, I deleted all those devices and ill keep that in mind in future, all i can say second hand buyers are getting second hand service.

Error: "This device is already associated with an apple ID"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.