Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Straighten tool in iPhoto to sensitive after update

Since the last update (9.2.1) of iphoto that was provided by apple my slider for the straighten tool is very sensitive. In the past I used to be able to make 0.1% adjustments.. now it's so sensitive I usually go directly from 0% to 0.6 or 0.8%..

I already tried a different mouse and adjusting the mouse speed.. but neither helps.. I never had this problem in the past. Anyone else has this problem? Or is there a way to make the slider adjust with the keyboard in 0.1 steps? I tried everything.. but nothing seems to help..

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8gb memory

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:14 PM

12 replies

Jan 14, 2012 11:27 AM in response to icepick3000

This is driving me insane, thanks for corroborating...sorry that I don't yet have any advice though. It would be great to know if there were a hotkey useful for this! There does not appear to be a keyboard method for moving a slider from what this states though:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphoto/shortcuts/

Right now I'm having to second guess my mouse and always "stop" before where I actually want to be to account for the (totally random) amount of additional movement that gets incremented as I let go of the button.

Mar 12, 2012 10:42 AM in response to icepick3000

NO FIX. It's still annoying the heck out of me and making my photo editing tiresome. I have a nice, fairly high resolution mouse on a scattered pattern pad and a Magic Trackpad and using either device the slider is unusable. You basically have to game it like a form of entertainment and get "lucky" and it's a game that gets old really fast.

Mar 30, 2012 7:42 AM in response to icepick3000

I just received an email notice of the two new posts on this subject; but no solution yet. So I am rethinking the problem and what might be done.

The problem is, even on my big iMac, there are just two centimeters of slider space to adjust 45 degree's worth of tilt. With 450 possibile points on the slider, they are just too close together. This is poor design by Apple. What I would rather have is a method of entering a numeric value for the degree of tilt that I need; something commonly available with Apple's Inspector pane in other applications.

OR... the slider needs to be longer; and that was my hint.

Thinking about the lack of space to slide the slider, I tried something and it works!

First, with the screen displayed in the normal way, I get the tilt near to what I want.

Then, I use the control key and one finger swipe on the mouse to zoom in on the slider bar so that it fills my screen. In this way, there is much greater control of the increments of degree change of the tilt. It is still a bit touchy, but I can make changes in one tenth's of a degree.

Of couse, I need to zoom back out so that I can see the results, and possibly zoom back in to tweak the slider again.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Sep 14, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Tomorro

@Tomorro: that's a useful tip about zooming in - works nicely for getting 0.1 degree increments, albeit much better if this weren't necessary.

For others interested, you need to turn on Zoom first in Settings --> Accessibility.

I find the keyboard zoom shortcuts best, most of all because you can switch in and out of your current zoom level with a single key combination, in order to check how the photo is looking.

I also used the Provide iPhoto feedback option on the main iPhoto menu to tell Apple about this regression . Hope they are listening... 😐

Straighten tool in iPhoto to sensitive after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.