Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

17" inch Pro - LCD flickering and at times sudden black screen

Dear Community,

since I bought my PRO almost 2 years ago in the beginning when I open the lid I had at times a flickering screen but I resolved it but closing the lid and reopen which solved the issue. Now I have upgraded to Lion OS and since this morning I have a constant black out on my LCD every say 5 to 10 min. After awhile it comes back a life, or at times when it comes back after 10 sec it brings me to the user login screen.

I have searched Apple support, google but didnt find anything relevant to solve my issue however noticed that it is a very common problem for many poeple.

Pls dont tell me to bring it to Service or replace my LCD, I read that already but i wanna know what is the cause of this problem.

For any input or advise (SOLUTION) to my problem I really appreciate it.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:17 PM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2012 7:06 PM in response to KPLSHA

Hi All of you,

i hope I figured it out. I have no more Black screen issue & flickering since I did below yesterday:

1. Found advise from a user and Killed process called "warmd", process user: unknown.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/warmd.8.html

2. WHen my Screen went black sporadically, My Ipad was connected and nearby my MAC Book , I relocated it further away (I read about interference issues)

3. I right clicked on battery icon and it showed me that Battery needs Service. I fully re-cahrged and re-booted my Pro and WoohLah, Battery status was back to normal....

4. I switched GPU >> Installed programm called GFXcardstatus (you can Google that)

5. In Finder:Applications

Utilities

Terminal:app

enter:......... sudo pmset -a lidwake 0 ....... to reverse replace 0 with 1

enter your computer password..........

This sends your laptop to sleep on closing but on opening tap any key to wake.According to advise by other user on the net this has stopped his issue with black screen and lastly I performed it after step 1-4.

Not sure what caused it tho but fiddeling around with above sorted my issue.

17" inch Pro - LCD flickering and at times sudden black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.