Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to check the routing table / firewall rules / other router rules to make sure that I'm allowed access to the copier.

I've got a 2.2 GHz MBP i7 with 8GB of RAM and a Lanier 5622 multifunction printer that aren't playing nicely together.

I'm connected to the printer through the same DSL modem that a Windows XP computer is printing through with no problem. I've been in contact with tech support at Lanier and they tell me that the problem is with the TCP/IP connection. The Apple help page I saw suggested getting in touch with the Lanier folks.

I've gone into System Preferences and manually set up the local network to match the IP address Subnet mask and Gateway of the printer. Still, when I go to set up the printer, the printer is not found.

This is my second Mac, but I'm still kind of feeling my way around, and when it comes to networking, I feel may way around very slowly.

My question is, how do I make sure my Mac can see my printer?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 2:30 AM

15 replies

Jan 11, 2012 2:46 AM in response to PhatBatt

Have you checked that Lanier don't provide a Mac network printing driver or tool? It would usually come bundeled with the printer.

To turn your Firewall On/Off go to System Prefrences >Security & Privacy > Firewall. You will need admin rights to make changes.

I would guess that your firewall is turned off and that this is nothing to do with your problem, but give it a go anyway!

Jan 11, 2012 2:54 AM in response to PhatBatt

Your Mac and the printer cannot have the same IP address. If the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, then only the first three sets of numbers can be the same, while the last number has to be different for each device on the local network.

Also, the only way the Mac will "see" the printer is that if the printer supports an advertising (aka multicasting) protocol, such as Bonjour. Many office copiers don't support Bonjour so you manually add the printer by selecting the correct IP protocol (usually HP Jetdirect-Socket is a safe bet as Windows also uses the same protocol) and then entering the IP address of the printer.

Jan 11, 2012 5:34 AM in response to PAHU

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Been at this probem off and on for a few months now. I've tried manually changing the last three digits in the IP address from 105 to 104, 103, 106, or 108, and none of these seemed to do the trick. I've tried this with HP JetDirect-Socket, LPD, and IPP. No dice.

The error message says "Unable to verify the printer on your network."

Jan 11, 2012 5:44 AM in response to PhatBatt

You can't just guess at the IP address. If you go into your router's configuration web page, you should be able to see all connected devices. You can easily check the IP numbers for both the PC and the Mac. The odd duck out should be the printer. You can also turn off the printer, refresh the list, turn the printer back on, refresh again, and make note of the JP address that goes away and comes back. Then, assuming you have a driver or Postscript PPD file for the printer, you can. Manually enter the IP address and configure the printer using LPD.

Jan 11, 2012 5:57 AM in response to etresoft

As etresoft says you need to find out the exact IP address of the copier. Once you have you should also be able to login to the copyer setting page by typing the IP address into a web browser. It would be a good idea to change it to Static and not DHCP and pick a static IP address on the same subnet as the rest of the devices on the network but that is in the DHCP servers exclusion zone. That way the IP address will never change and you won't have to keep setting it up.

Jan 12, 2012 5:16 AM in response to PhatBatt

If you can't access it then you are using the wrong IP to route to it. Do you have an iPhone or iPod Touch? If so you can get an app called Scany and scan all of the IP addresses on your subnet, this will then show you your routers IP address.

If you go to http://www.default-password.info/zyxel/ it shows you all of the default usernames and passwords for Zyxel routers. Yours is not specifically listed, but i would guess it comes under the ADSL section.

Jan 17, 2012 4:24 AM in response to iKotare

Hi again,

I'm not full-time at this location, but when I'm here I'm pretty busy, so I haven't had time to blah blah blah.

Alright, I've figured out the IP addresses, I think.

My printer's is 192.168.1.105. I know this because it's on the printer's control panel.

Now, when I look at my network connection in system preferences, it says 122.127.104.156.

Do I understand correctly that the third set of digits, 1 and 104 respectively, are the subnet and the subnet for the two devices need to be the same?

The IPv4 is configured using PPP. Am I meant to configure it manually and set up an IP address for this location using the subnet 104? In which case, I need to assign a unique number to my Mac for the final series. And it must be different from any other device running through this here router.

That seems like it should be pretty easy. If it's just my mac, the Windows system, and the printer on this network, don't I have the choice of any number except three between 1 and 244?

Jan 17, 2012 4:44 AM in response to PhatBatt

Your Mac is getting a public IP address from outside of your network. Do you know why it is not getting one that is inside your router, ie 192.168.1.xyz?

Is the internet and the internal network served on two different networks? Perhaps one WiFi and one Ethernet?

Anyway, in order to connect to the printer, you must be on the same network as the printer (ie 192.168.1.xyz).

Just putting in a different octet as the last number won't connect you to the network that the printer is on. You need to figure out how to connect to that particular network and not the one you are on.

The router there might be set up to only let known computers get an IP address on that LAN. If so, you need to talk to the system admin to have your computer added to the known list.

Jan 17, 2012 6:25 AM in response to Barney-15E

Well, the sad thing is, I'm the IT department 😊. I work in a very small language school. Two computers and one multi-function printer.

For the purposes of troubleshooting this, I have the wireless radio switched off to avoid any confusion.

I just got off the phone with our internet provider who talked me through how to set up a fixed IP address for this connection.

So, can I just change the IP address on the printer to match my new fixed IP address?

I need to check the routing table / firewall rules / other router rules to make sure that I'm allowed access to the copier.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.