Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server

I come seeking knowledge... He's the situation :-

About 25 Mac clients & 20 Windoze clients currently using an elderly PPC G4 server running Tiger. A Xeon Mac Pro's just become available & I'm strongly attracted to Lion Server on to this to take the 'weight' of the serving files bit off the poor old G4 and let it concentrate on it's other functions (It's also a 4D server & font server)

BUT...

All the clients are Tiger & Leopard 😟

So my question is - > Lion server with Tiger and Leopard clients -> Any issues?

Many thanks

Andy (AKA The ffistometer)

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 2:59 AM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2012 1:34 PM in response to FFistometer

You probably should be more worried about those Windows clients and Lion server.

10.5.8 should be fine with the server. Tiger systems I will be honest, I have not tested. If you are 10.4.11 you are probably going to be ok. But the question is, are you only doing file services or are you also doing OD and managed client/domain login? If you need these items, hit eBay for a copy of Snow Leopard Server. You will make your life easier.

And wow, that is some old gear you are running. Make sure you are backing up.

Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.