Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No "Outlook" import option in Apple Mail

When I try to import my mailbox from my Mac Outlook email client into my Apple Mail email client, there is no import option for Outlook (there is an option for Outlook's predecessor Entourage but Outlook is nowhere to be seen). Is there no compatibility in Lion's Mail for Outlook?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPad2/iPhone 4S

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:37 AM

13 replies

Aug 4, 2015 7:55 AM in response to SlippySlope

1. Download and install MessageSave on your Windows PC and restart Outlook. <This is a Direct Download Link>
  2. Run "Tools -> MessageSave -> Apple Mac Export -> Export Messages" menu command to export your Outlook folders as MBOX files.
  3. Copy the MBOX files over to the Mac.
  4. Import the MBOX files into your Mac mail client ( Apple Mail, Outlook for Mac or Entourage ).
  5. That's it. You're done.

<Edited by Host>

Jan 11, 2012 6:09 PM in response to Tevita-ACMT

Thanks Tevita. However, I'm not on a Windows PC. I'm on a Mac and I'm trying to get my Apple Mail to import my Outlook for Mac mailboxs but when you go to 'import' you see options for Apple Mail; Microsoft Entourage; Netscape/Mozilla; Thunderbird; Eudora and Files in mbox format - but no Microsoft Outlook for Mac.

Is there an option in Outlook for Mac to export to mbox format? If so, that may be the path.

Apr 5, 2012 1:23 AM in response to SlippySlope

I've found a work around. First open Outlook for Mac, then drag and drop a mailbox to the desktop or a folder created for the purpose (This will create an "mbox" file. Open Mail and select "file", then "import mailboxes" and select "files in mbox format". Browse to the mailbox and import. Mail will create a folder called "imported" and you will find your imported mailbox there. The only hassle I found was that if one of your mail folders has subfolders, these have to be dragged and dropped separately although you can import multiple folders.

Jan 26, 2013 7:42 AM in response to SlippySlope

sallyrfwrote:

The following work-around was provided by "sallyrf" and I can confirm that it worked perfectly! (Thanks, Sallyrf).

1. Open Outlook for Mac.

2. Drag and drop a mailbox to the desktop (This will create an "mbox" file.)

3. Close Outlook for Mac.

4. Open Apple Mail.

5. Select "File", then "Import Mailboxes" and check the box for "Files in mbox format".

6. Browse to the mailbox that you saved on your desktop in task 2 above.

7. Import.

8. Apple Mail will create a folder called "Imported" and you will find your imported mailbox there.

9. Drag the imported mails to your Mail inbox or other mailbox as required.

10.Delete the "Imported" mailbox and the "mbox" file from your desktop.

Remember that if one of your mail folders has subfolders, these have to be dragged and dropped separately although you can import multiple folders.

Jan 26, 2013 4:14 PM in response to sallyrf

sallyrf wrote:

Glad to know it has helped some. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't have more import options. Thanks for putting the solution in points. It is much easier to follow.

Outlook for Mac has exactly 1 export format that can be used for Mail, yet you complain about Apple Mails 5 import options as being not enough. Call Microsoft, their interoperability is awful.

User uploaded file

Feb 3, 2013 9:18 PM in response to scirebroc

I've done exactly as you've describe above and while every message is imported, each message is unreadable. Small example of a converted email pasted below:

ail-Tracker: AAAAAQAAAlw=

U UUU UUU UUU UUU €U ÿˆUÿìÆOÿì¾ ÿêº

ÿé¹ ÿé¸ Ðé¸ ö¢~ ÿä¿UÿòÇ<ÿóà ÿöÈ ÿøÊ ÿøÌ!ÿùÎ%AóÐC UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU €U ÿ…RÿíËYÿðÅ*ÿîÀ ÿî¾ ÿî¾ Õí¼ €€€ íz ÿÝ·OÿðÄ:ÿñ¿ ÿôÅ ÿöÈ ÿöÉ ÿöÉ MòÇ+ UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUUÿƒPÿñÐcÿôÍ8ÿóÆ ÿòÄ ÿò áñ €€€ á™r ÿÖEÿíÀ8ÿî» ÿòÁ ÿóà ÿôÄ ÿôÄ MîÃ$ UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUUÿP ÿðÒjÿùÔFÿöÍ!ÿõÉ ÿöÇ íôÆ €€€ Õ”m ÿÏ¥?ÿë¾:ÿì¹ ÿî¼ ÿñÀ ÿò ÿòà YîÃ% UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUUóP ÿòÕoÿüÚNÿúÒ'ÿùÍ ÿøÊ óøÈ €€€ ̐g ÿÉž;ÿéº7ÿéµ ÿì¹ ÿî½ ÿî¿ ÿðÀ!\ì¿* UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUUóO ÿðÓnÿýÝPÿüÕ(ÿúÑ ÿùË öùÊ €€€ À‹` ÿÀ•4ÿæ¶5ÿæ° ÿê´ ÿì¹ ÿî¼ ÿî¾$hë½* UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU €UUÿ‚Q ÿøÜtÿýÝNÿýÕ(ÿûÐ ÿúÍÛùÌ «ˆ[ ÿ²„"ÿâ°-ÿâ ÿå± ÿêµ ÿê¹ ÿë»"Žé½& UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU>”g ô‘] ÿþåtÿüÝGÿý×#ÿúÑ

ÿù;øÌ „Wÿj ÿܨ#ÿݧ ÿá« ÿå° ÿç´ ÿè·#áè¹' ªŽ9 UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUUš’c ç·Š6ÿþäfÿýÜ<ÿüÕ ÿúÏ ÿùÍy÷Ê 7‚SÿŽ]ÿÑ› ÿØ¢ ÿÛ¥ ÿß© ÿã® ÿå³!ÿåµ'‚ä´) UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU5Ÿx ü”d ýá½]ÿþâVÿþÛ1ÿüÕ ÿùÎÿ÷Ë7ñÇÒ‡YÿÀŠ ÿÖŸ ÿן ÿÚ£ ÿÞ§ ÿâ ÿã±$ÿå´*nÓ§* UUU UUU UUU UUU UUU8¤€ ê¨y ì²z ÿþågÿþàAÿüÙ#ÿùÏ ÿõÉÉñà Zˆ[ÿ§wÿÑœ ÿÒš ÿÓ› ÿ× ÿÛ¥ ÿÞª ÿà#ÿâ°)ÄÔ§(hº“%5‡"V¯ˆ ¯¶Œ ü¼‹ ú´y úëÌ`ÿÿâNÿþÝ-ÿúÒ ÿõÊÿðÀ@ç·´Žcÿ½‰ÿÔ£ ÿÌ• ÿΗ ÿÓœ ÿס ÿÙ¥ ÿܨ ÿݪ"ÿÝ«#ÿݪ#ÿÛ¦ ÿÏ™ ü¸~ ÷ß»SÿÿäQÿþÞ1ÿúÖ ÿõÌÿðÂ”é· †aÕ™mÿÌ— ÿÛ¬ ÿÑ &ÿÇŽ ÿÌ” ÿÒš ÿÔž ÿÖ ÿ× ÿÑ› ÿƏ ÿ¾Š$ÿèÉSÿþâJÿþÞ0ÿúÕ ÿõÊ ÿïÀÃé¶

Ì™ Ž^ØŸqÿÏ› ÿà° ÿÞ²+ÿΟ,ÿÁ ÿ¾… ÿÀˆ ÿ¿ˆ ÿÉš.ÿÚ´@ÿøÛHÿüÜ4ÿùÖ ÿõÎ ÿðÄÿë»Àæ³ ãª €U¢œnÿÆ“ÿا ÿá´ ÿè¾'ÿìÆ4ÿïË;ÿñÎ8ÿòÍ2ÿñÌ'ÿðÈ ÿîÄ ÿë¾ ÿç·ÿ㱊ؤ Žq UU f3 tF@dµ¬}ÿÌ™ÿÖ¢ ÿÙ§ ÿÜ« ÿÞ® ÿ߯ ÿß® ÿÞ ÿݪýÚ¦¼Ç—Qšn 9+ 33 UU qU xK%uS<wQ[xQ…X»fÙ¢tä±€ð¹‡ð½‰ç´‚Ô«|¤—j\€Y%gE fD UU € € f3 q9 wD oN!tM0pP>sNIsPHuQDxS5xR$xU €Y

€M UUà« Content-type: multipart/mixed;

boundary="B_3441892313_4177650"

Not particularly useful really. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Aug 1, 2015 8:05 AM in response to SlippySlope

SlippySlope wrote:

I just checked my Outlook for Mac export function. You can export to Outlook for Mac Data file (.olm) but there is no corresponding .olm data file import option on Apple Mail.

I quess Apple doesn't want you replace your Outlook with Mail.

Outlook does not support any standard email export format, and that's Microsofts choice.

No "Outlook" import option in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.