Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Infrared Receiver Option

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching around about this issue for a bit but haven't found any solution yet, so might as well ask it here.

I have an old Macbook Pro (Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 15", bought in Jan 2007). I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Tiger a couple months ago and It was ok. I tried using my remote control, however it does not work. Apparently after diagnosing, the battery is dead. I replaced the battery, however it still does not respond to my macbook.

I tried googling the issue, and there are a few posts suggesting that the infrared receiver option might be disabled and i have to turn it on. However I can't seem to find an option about it in the security >> General. I read in another link that I might need to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, and I did. Still, I can't find the configuration option in the security settings. I can confirm that my macbook has the Infrared port next to the unlocking latch.

I'm sorry if i posted it to the frong subforum, I was going to post this in Macbook Pro section 🙂

Looking forward to hear from you soon. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:56 AM

7 replies

Jan 11, 2012 9:02 AM in response to evan_p

In addition to the pairing suggestion JD offered above, have you checked to be sure your IR port is enabled? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8995.html

This and other suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1722 may be helpful.

BTW, although iSight can test whether the remote is sending infrared, my Macs do NOT use iSight as the infrared receiver for operating the Remote. From the User Guide manual that came with your Mac, you should be able to tell whether yours also uses an infrared receiver. I offer the following example.

Because you bought your MBP in Jan 2007, I inferred it might be a 2006 model. As shown near the top of page 35 of the manual for the 2006 MBP

( http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_Users_Guide.pdf )

Your Apple Remote works with ... the built-in infrared (IR) receiver, ... located next to the display release button ...

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early09) 2.93Ghz OSX 10.7.2   24" LED Cinema Display
iPad2 iOS 5.0.1                               5th Gen AEBS
MBP 15" i7 (Early'11) OSX 10.7.2               External iSights
13" MBP (Mid'09) 2.26GHz OSX 10.7.2            iBook SE 366MHz OSX 10.3.9

Jan 12, 2012 3:39 PM in response to evan_p

Hmmm. My Mac Pro dialog box looks exactly like yours when I boot it into Snow Leopard. However, my MacPro does not have an infrared remote receiver, so I figured that was why mine did not show the "Disable remote control infrared receiver". Both of my MacBook Pros are upgraded to Lion, so I cannot test SL on them.

You are using a MacBook Pro, right?

Do you have File Vault enabled?

Have you tried everything else from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1722 ?

Have you uninstalled or modified your system or apps software in any way?

Have you used your SL install disk's Disk Utility to repair your disk?

If nothing else works, my only remaining suggestion is to contact Apple or a local Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your MBP checked out.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early09) 2.93Ghz OSX 10.7.2   24" LED Cinema Display
iPad2 iOS 5.0.1                               5th Gen AEBS
MBP 15" i7 (Early'11) OSX 10.7.2               External iSights
13" MBP (Mid'09) 2.26GHz OSX 10.7.2            iBook SE 366MHz OSX 10.3.9

Jan 18, 2012 11:57 PM in response to EZ Jim

Hello Jim,

sorry I've been busy these past couple of days, and just had a chance to try it again.

FileVault is disabled, and i tried all the things provided in your link. I did try resetting PRAM and SMC as well, but it still does not work.

Regarding the repair disk, I've just had a fresh install of the SL, so I didn't try it.

Missing Infrared Receiver Option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.