Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use time capsule as backup only

Can I use Time capsule as a backup device without activating any of hte wirless betwork features. I already have as Wirless router and I do not want to introduce a new router at this time..

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iMac

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:21 AM

Can I use Time capsule as a backup device without activating any of hte wirless betwork features.

Yes. Post back if you are not sure how to do this.

6 replies

Jan 11, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Jamez97

Can I simply attach to the Time Capsule with an Ethernet...

Yes, you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on your existing wireless router to the WAN port (circle icon) on the Time Capsule.

Use AirPort Utility - Manual Setup to configure the Time Capsule

Click the Time Capsule tab just below the icons to assign a name to the Time Capsule, a device password, and and adjust Time Zone settings

Click the Wireless tab next to the Time Capsule tab and change the settting for Wireless Mode to "Off". It is a good idea to do this if you have another wireless network already set up, since there may be wireless interference problems created if you try to use two wireless networks in close proximity.

Click the Internet icon, then click the Internet Connection tab

Connect Using = Ethernet

Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

Update to save new settings and be sure to restart the entire network again. That should get you going.

You will be able to backup to the Time Capsule from your Mac using either the wireless network that you have now, or you can connect the Mac directly to one of the LAN <-> ports on the Time Capsule to establish a direct connection. I would recommend the direct connection for the first backup, since everything on your Mac will be copied over to the Time Capsule and this will go much faster using an Ethernet cable.

Once you have the initial lbackup completed, you could use wireless for subsequent back ups since they will only take a few minutes each time they occur.

How to use time capsule as backup only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.