Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MDD ati pci 9200 and apple adc to dvi, I have questions.

I have a MDD DP 1.25 which I want to add 5 adc cinema displays to. now my plan was to connect two 23" ADC monitors to my AGP 9700 pro using adc and on the other a dvi to adc adapter. then two pci ati 9200 mac cards to run a 22" ADC and two 20" ADC displays. I have a qefen VGA to ADC for running one of the displays from the pci video cards vga port but from what i hear there is some issues with the dvi to adc adapter, pci ati 9200 and the 23" and 20" ADC monitors. any advise or info would rock.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 9:27 AM

I'm not too sure about the overall answer to your question, but I do have experience with the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI card. As a PCI card and an early one at that, it cannot support some of the most basic OSX video technologies like Quartz Extreme. It does well at 3D acceleration but QE is what makes 2D scrolling and dragging smooth.

So using a 9200 depends on what you want on the monitors attached to it. If all you need to display are static pallets or status screens, you are fine. However, using it to display video or even get fast redraws of previewed still images is probably going to tax the 9200 mightily.

The 9200's development began during the OS9 days but was delayed by the introduction of OSX. It seemed to has gotten stuck between two worlds.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2012 9:27 AM in response to Aaron Sorenson

I'm not too sure about the overall answer to your question, but I do have experience with the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI card. As a PCI card and an early one at that, it cannot support some of the most basic OSX video technologies like Quartz Extreme. It does well at 3D acceleration but QE is what makes 2D scrolling and dragging smooth.

So using a 9200 depends on what you want on the monitors attached to it. If all you need to display are static pallets or status screens, you are fine. However, using it to display video or even get fast redraws of previewed still images is probably going to tax the 9200 mightily.

The 9200's development began during the OS9 days but was delayed by the introduction of OSX. It seemed to has gotten stuck between two worlds.

Jan 15, 2012 9:35 AM in response to Aaron Sorenson

You're going to have a wicked bottleneck on those Radeon 9200's.

The PCI slots are only 33 mhz so not much other than the extended desktop wants to be on those displays. In a pinch, the s-video ports on the 9200's will actually do a bang-up job porting to a TV - CRT or an early flatscreen - 640x480 or 800x600 is all you'll want to push - the Mac to TV ATI control panel was/is quite robust and nicely featured for the time.. but that's about it.

For larger resoultion video or games, stick to the displays attached to the AGP cards.

The ADC adapters are ridiculously priced - if you holmes out the info - I found it recently, you can rewire the Apple displays and build a new fanout for power and video and if you're really a busy beaver, a pass-through for the USB.

Here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=188336 -

ADC pinouts: http://pinouts.ru/Video/apple_adc_pinout.shtml

Deb.

Jan 17, 2012 10:03 PM in response to Aaron Sorenson

How well does VNC work with os 9? I like this idea if the 9200 pci won't run the displays very well and the costs. I was thinking of using mac minis for space and cheapness but the put out dvi and no os 9. Then I thought of how cool it would be to use two g4 cubes but they seem to be 100 ethernet not gigabite ethernet unless i'm lucky and find a BTO model with gigabite ethernet. so I bet the cube is not the right option. plus how does VNC work if i'm playing a game on a screen from say a cube (the secondary computer for extended desktop) is it run over the cubes cpu or the MDD? and are usb and other ports useable on the cube (secoundary computer).

Jan 17, 2012 11:39 PM in response to Aaron Sorenson

OS X has a built-in VNC server, OS 9 does not, you have to install one, I haven't tried this myself with OS 9.

http://www.testplant.com/products/vine/vine-server/

Teleport is a software KVM switch, it automatically switches your keyboard and mouse to the active machine when you mouse over to that display, but each machine's display is basically local to that machine, if that makes sense. This is not really an extended desktop on the primary machine. This may not be what you originally had in mind.

http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

My memory fails me now, I had thought there was a VNC based method to utilize another machine's monitor as an extended desktop for the primary machine, kind of like this iPad app.

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=idisplay

I am not able to find a link to that similar kind of set up for OS9/X VNC... anyone else come across that?

But I think this would really only be suitable for non-graphics intensive windows like floating palettes, not 3D interactive games spread across multiple virtual monitors.

MDD ati pci 9200 and apple adc to dvi, I have questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.