Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get sound to play using audio line in

I am trying to play audio from my iPhone by connecting mini plug cable to the headphone jack and the audio line-in mini plug. The input level indicator in System Preferences > Sound is showing that audio is playing but I don't hear sound. I do have sound playing through my Mac Pro with iTunes, steaming audio/video, etc., so I know it works. Any ideas how I can get sound to play audibly using line-in?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:02 PM

Try LineIn

<http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/>

3 replies

Jul 1, 2013 7:01 AM in response to rainair

Another option not involving any additional software - see:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/87046-play-line-in-through-macbook-pro-in ternal-speakers/

Just came across this problem myself (10.8) and that solution works great - just open Quicktime, there under File: choose a "new audio recording". In the upcoming controller switch up the volume.

Weard that it works this way but nowhere else in the sound System Control panels ...

Aug 4, 2015 1:17 PM in response to rainair

I managed to do this with no add on programs.

1. Set up your device and connect it using the stereo mini plug to the line in jack on the back of the iMac.

2. Start your sound source so you can monitor it.

3. Launch System Settings and select line in for Input, and select Headphones for Output (two of three sub-tabs of this module).

Note the monitor meter in Audio/Input. You should be seeing the bars lighting up when there is sound data present.

3. Launch Quicktime (I used v. 10.2)

4. Selected New Audio Recording from the File menu.

5. If you do not hear your audio playing through right away, try clicking on the volume up icon (speaker icon with curves radiating outward).*

*Note: this is what I had to do to hear my audio input from line in.

Can't get sound to play using audio line in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.