Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions to setup a computerless iPad home

My mother (82) read the Isaacson biography and now wants her first computer to be an iPad. She is not computer literate: she is amazed that she doesn't have to manually return at the end of every line that she types. She is adding internet access to her home, anticipating this leap into modern times. She has listened to my suggestion that she not buy a new iPad2 at this time, and she will wait for the new iPad3 in ~March.

My question is: what does she need to be able to use the iPad as a computer, without having any other computer but the iPad? She wants to browse the internet, email, print, and listen to music.

I will be able to visit on occasion for initial setup and occasional maintenence, but I live far enough away to make this an infrequent event. My first thoughts are she will need a wireless router and a wireless printer. I can initially set these up with a laptop, but she needs to be able to use them with just her iPad, and know if they need updating. I know the apple routers go from a green light to amber if they want to be updated; are there other routers recommended that would have this feature? I was thinking of getting one of the HP printers that support direct printing from the iPad, like the HP Deskjet 3050A. Are these straightforward to use, once setup, straight from the iPad? Besides those items, I imagine she will want some sort of protective case, maybe an external keyboard, and a set of earphones. Also, she has a bunch of music CDs: it would be nice to have a way for me to get her music from them to her iPad, but I can't think of a way other than putting them on a laptop and having her sync them that way. Is there a wireless way for me to rip them at my home and have her get them into her music app at her home? Does she need backup solutions in addition to iCloud?

I want to come up with a realistic budget for what this will actually cost, including all of these peripheral items. Thanks for taking the time to share even the simplest of suggestions, I will update once we have decided on her final setup.

Paul

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:40 AM

She will definitely need some kind of back-up, and iCloud should cover that part of it. You can rip your own CD's and put them into iCloud for her (I assume you'll know her log-in info), but there is a limit on how much "non-iTunes purchased" music you can put into iCloud for free. Unlimited "matching" costs $24.99 a year (see http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/ for more info).

While initial set-up of the router and Airpring enabled printer should be fine, it would be helpful if there was somebody near here who could provide support as well if you're that far away. I'm guessing she won't know what to do if there's a small glitch that would be fixed by resetting a router or the like.

A protective case that can double as a stand would probably be helpful, as the iPad can be heavy for the elderly to hold for periods of time. Otterbox makes some pretty durable ones.

And just a quibble, since it's required on this group - Apple has not announced or confirmed that the iPad3 will be out in March, and possible that your mom might have to wait longer. Also, whenever the next generation comes out, unless it has the same physical dimensions as the existing iPads, it will take some time for quality cases to come out of the production line. If that's important, and you don't want to risk dropping the ipad, you might want to wait a month or two after the next generation comes out to purchase an iPad with a high quality, durable case.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2012 11:40 AM in response to Paul Kingsley

She will definitely need some kind of back-up, and iCloud should cover that part of it. You can rip your own CD's and put them into iCloud for her (I assume you'll know her log-in info), but there is a limit on how much "non-iTunes purchased" music you can put into iCloud for free. Unlimited "matching" costs $24.99 a year (see http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/ for more info).

While initial set-up of the router and Airpring enabled printer should be fine, it would be helpful if there was somebody near here who could provide support as well if you're that far away. I'm guessing she won't know what to do if there's a small glitch that would be fixed by resetting a router or the like.

A protective case that can double as a stand would probably be helpful, as the iPad can be heavy for the elderly to hold for periods of time. Otterbox makes some pretty durable ones.

And just a quibble, since it's required on this group - Apple has not announced or confirmed that the iPad3 will be out in March, and possible that your mom might have to wait longer. Also, whenever the next generation comes out, unless it has the same physical dimensions as the existing iPads, it will take some time for quality cases to come out of the production line. If that's important, and you don't want to risk dropping the ipad, you might want to wait a month or two after the next generation comes out to purchase an iPad with a high quality, durable case.

Jan 11, 2012 5:53 PM in response to Paul Kingsley

Your mother may have problems typing emails using the on-screen keyboard & having to switch between alpha & numbers.

I bought an Adesso case/keyboard model WKB-2000CD http://www.adesso.com/en/component/content/article/49-coming-soon/455-wkb-2000cd .html Works great & looks good & much easier to type, plus it has iPad control keys like home, volume, etc. Do a Google search using the model number to get the best price.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Suggestions to setup a computerless iPad home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.