Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I toggle num lock in Windows 7 via Boot Camp 4.0 on a MacBook Pro (Late 2011)?

Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable num lock on the MacBook Pro 2011 (Late) in Windows 7 via Boot Camp 4.0? I have a mouse with a numpad mapping on the side of it. When I press the number keys, the cursor responds in the way one would expect it to with the num lock off (ie, 6 moves it right, 4 moves it left, etc); however, I need to use it to produce numbers.

I have read http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1220, which covers the previous MBP keyboard (on which the F6 key function was numlock), but I can't find any information regarding the possibility of doing this with the new MBP model keyboard (on which the F6 key function is increasing the keyboard backlight). Any thoughts? Suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Boot Camp 4.0, Mac OS X Lion

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 6:17 AM

A simple solution would be to use the onscreen keyboard in windows. Mike

5 replies

Jan 12, 2012 12:09 PM in response to youngmacdonald

I discovered this same problem today, when trying to get my Razer Naga to work the way I wanted in Boot camp.

Goof-proof guide:

1. Push the Start Button in Windows.

2. Type "On-screen keyboard" into the search bar at the bottom, and open the on-screen keyboard.

3. If there is no num lock key visible, hit the Options key on the virtual keyboard (Towards the bottom right).

4. Check the box that says "Turn on Numeric Keypad" (Near the top).

5. Whack the numlock key.

I regrettably have no idea yet whether this will persist through a restart, or whether I'll be visiting the virtual keyboard to fix this more often than I'd like.

Jan 13, 2012 10:21 AM in response to mmcdon

Yea, I've tried manipulating the virtual onscreen keyboard. Unfortunately, it seems to yield inconsistent results while in the application. Interestingly enough, I too am trying to use a Naga in Windows, haha. I encounter problems, however, when trying to use a modifier key such as shift or ctrl with the virtually-numlocked numpad.

Jul 21, 2013 3:54 PM in response to abr1985

I was looking for this answer and found it on another site. I realize this is an old thread, but just in case someone else stumbles here and needs to do it, here's how to turn numlock on or off in Windows, and to make it stick:

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit)
    • In Windows 8 or earlier you can press Command-R, then type regedit
    • In Win7 or earlier, you can also just click Start menu, and type regedit in the search field.
  2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Keyboard
  3. Within the Keyboard folder, you should have an entry named InitialKeyboardIndicators. Set the "Data" value accordingly:
  • 0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after login
  • 1 = Disable Num Lock
  • 2 = Numlock is turned ON after the login

• I hope this helps.

How do I toggle num lock in Windows 7 via Boot Camp 4.0 on a MacBook Pro (Late 2011)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.