Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you find missing titles, effects, and generators in final cut pro x?

Actually, that's only one of two questions...

ONE

When I attempt to export a movie, uncompressed, not through Compressor and not sharing to an Apple device, I get an error saying my Project has "missing or offline titles, effects, or generators."

There is a little yellow warning triangle next to the project name.

But there are no little yellow warning triangles next to anything in my libraries, and everything plays through in the Timeline.

Before exporting, how can I identify the supposedly missing elements???

TWO

After attempting to export the same movie via the Share item to an iiPhone, i received a Quicktime Error: -50.

Interpretation, please?

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 1:08 PM

In the timeline, turn on the timeline index Shift-Cmd-2 and see if anything appears with the yellow warning tag next to it.

20 replies

Aug 12, 2017 7:03 AM in response to pneumadeux

I Did the solution below from 17xande with the addition of actually having to paste the time line I copied into a new project.

Solution

1. Make sure there isn't actually any media missing.
  2. Select all elements in the timeline (Cmd + A).
  3. Copy selected elements (Cmd + C).
  4. Then paste (Cmd+V) in to a new project.

That's it. The error should no longer be displayed. (in the new project.)

Jun 18, 2013 12:46 PM in response to pneumadeux

pneumadeux, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue and have been searching for a couple of weeks trying to find out how to identify what part of the timeline is missing the effect. Before I actually open the project but have it highlighted in the project library window, I can see the yellow caution sign in the inspector window taunting me by saying "Missing Effects" and it starts to list what effects are missing but only shows the first couple, I've tried clicking, double clicking, right clicking and clicking with my fingers crossed, but cannot persuade the inspector window to give up any information on the mysterious missing effects. I suspect there is a way to get this information from FCPX but I don't know what that is. So, if you did find a solution would you post it here? Thanks.

Aug 29, 2014 9:58 PM in response to pneumadeux

Hey all,

Two years later the same thing still happens with FCPX 10.1.3

IN my case I DID use Motion, and created an Element that had a media well. Everything was fine till I exited and reopened FCPX. The project showed up with a bunch of missing title clips, and a mystery clip in the project that crashed FCPX everytime I tried to move it to trash.

FCPX would try to render and just loop over and over unable to render one of the clips flagged as something missing.

I went through each clip and filled in the media wells, and eventually FCPX showed no "yellow triangles" in the timeline or timeline index, nor undrendered

bits. Yet when I went to share, it complained "... has missing titles or generators"

Sep 23, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Michael Williams10

FCPX would try to render and just loop over and over unable to render one of the clips flagged as something missing.

Where is your Library located? On the root drive but outside of your User folder? I noticed this behavior when I tried starting a new library on the root level of my internal drive (it doesn't happen with libraries on external drives.) When I tried rendering a generator, FCPX would go into this "infinite loop" of trying to render, displaying a dashed orange render line, and the only way to stop it from rendering was to make a change to the storyline (not even going into the background tasks dialog and attempting to stop the render would work.) Everything "righted" itself when I (shut down FCPX) moved the library back inside my ~/user/Movies folder.

— Hope this helps...

Sep 23, 2014 2:37 PM in response to Michael Williams10

I recently added a new plugin (mObject) and was experimenting with it. I decided to create a "temporary" library on my root drive since it's the fastest in my setup. I prefer to have major files like the library at the top level of my drives, and for the internal drive, that's outside my User folder. That's when all the trouble started. I would manually start a render and FCPX would not stop... would not completely render the clip... I would get "dashed" orange render lines over the clip. The only way to stop the rendering was to add something new to the storyline (that includes going into background tasks and trying to stop or pause the rendering from there!) Once I moved the library back into my user folder (and inside Movies), all the rendering problems stopped.

The only connection I can make is that FCPX is getting hung up on user permissions and the "current user". A lot of these issues started when I upgraded to a new iMac and restored all my old software (from the previous iMac) from Time Machine. It made me alter my user name for the new machine and I had some segments on this new machine with the older user permissions which I had to manually change to the new username in many cases.

If you have strict (user only) permissions on your RAID, try loosening them or make sure that you add your username to the list with read/write permissions. (? perhaps.)

May 26, 2015 2:47 AM in response to pneumadeux

Sometimes even after making sure that nothing is missing, I still get that same error. Today I found a strange but simple solution.

I decided to copy all the elements in the timeline to a new project to start looking for the problematic clip (I know, I could have simply duplicated the project, but for some reason I didn't). I selected all the clips in the timeline (Cmd + A) and copied them (Cmd + C). Suddenly, the dreaded missing media triangle disappeared. I repeated this process on all my projects with this issue it worked every time.

Perhaps copying all the videos in a timeline causes some sort of project media refresh that can't be triggered otherwise. It would be great if this could also be triggered when media in the project is relinked. #justsaying

So just for clarity, the solution is below:

Solution

1. Make sure there isn't actually any media missing.
  2. Select all elements in the timeline (Cmd + A).
  3. Copy selected elements (Cmd + C).

That's it. The error should no longer be displayed.

how do you find missing titles, effects, and generators in final cut pro x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.