Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Sync Issues with Exchange Contacts and iPhone 4s

First I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I didn’t want to leave any details out in hopes someone can help me with this issue. I am currently experiencing a very aggravating issue with a user on an iPhone 4s. The original issue began in the form of contacts replicating in the hundreds on exchange (we are using Microsoft Exchange Server 2007) and spiking the CPU usage up over 90% on a regular basis after swapping out his iPhone 4 (32GB) for an iPhone 4s (64GB) on 12/14/11. His outlook on his laptop was incredibly slow and if you went into his contacts it would say “Updating 3.2MB (or whatever the size was that day)” and take 45 minutes to finish the update in contacts. I assumed it was an activesync issue with the laptop and phone so I gave the user a new laptop, blew away the iPhone 4s, and resynced the device on January 4th. All appeared to be OK. A couple days later the user began to see contacts just disappearing out of his phone and favorites. Contacts once in his address book were missing and the contact number at the bottom of the address book was changing randomly up and down. I also noticed that the “busy” wheel in the upper left hand corner next to the 3G logo was constantly spinning as if it was trying to sync with the server. At this point I felt as though we must have a bad device (since the laptop was replaced). I ordered a new iPhone 4s (32GB). I wasn’t sure if it was a size issue since the 64GB was new to the iPhone world. Last night I blew away all of his contacts in his Exchange account and turned the 64GB phone off to turn off contact with the server and deleted the device within the mobile devices section in OWA. I then imported his contacts from a backup. I tied the new iPhone 4s (32GB) to my wifi (since there wasn’t a SIM in it yet) and connected it to the Exchange account. Everything synced perfectly. I watched it all night and there were no issues. I met up with the user at 7am and put the SIM card from the 64GB device that I thought was the problem into the 32GB device that I thought was working. All seemed to take well. I watched it for an hour and there were no CPU spikes on the server and the “busy” wheel in contacts was not spinning. Exchange on the laptop was even syncing without any delay. Success right!!! NO. At approximately 12pm today we received a spike in CPU usage on the Exchange server and phone was in a death spiral again. I was told by the user he did not add any apps. The only thing he did was delete 2 contacts. I am at whit’s end with this. As a side note we also have 4 other users in the organization with 4s’s and they are running fine. They all came from iPhone 3g’s or Blackberry’s. This process caused us to port their numbers to a new SIM loaded in the iPhone 4s. The only thing that has remained a constant in this whole process is the SIM card from the original iPhone 4. We received the new device and upon making the transition we were told there was no need to port the number to the implanted SIM but rather to just take the SIM and move it from the 4 to the 4s. This SIM has traveled from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4s (64GB where all the issues started) to the iPhone 4s (32GB where the issues continue). Is there any chance that a SIM card could cause this issue? I am not sure what else to even look at considering we have reloaded 1 device, replaced that reloaded device with a new device, reloaded contacts on the server, and replaced the laptop with a new laptop. I am considering moving the user back to the original iPhone 4 we switched out in on December 14 if I can’t get this issue resolved today. ANY suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize again for the length of this post. Thank you in advance!!

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 12:39 PM

30 replies

Feb 9, 2012 4:01 PM in response to razmee209

We have about 15 users on exchange with iPhones who are fine. However one user (the owner of the company) with approx 12,000 contacts upgraded to ios 5 at which point our exchange server maxed out on memory and his contacts began to multiply and corrupt our exchange backups. Tried about 3 different devices all of which had ios 5 and maxed out our exchange server. I set the user up with a droid and everything leveled out.

There is definitely an issue with ios 5 and how it syncs contacts over a certain number.

Feb 9, 2012 4:13 PM in response to razmee209

I have looked high and low for any known documentation on limitations as well as calling apple support but have not found anything in regards to this. When I spoke to apple they told me the most contacts they have ever heard of was 1,500.

It's clearly a problem they have but I just can't get any confirmation or plans for a fix from them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated.

Feb 27, 2012 2:59 PM in response to jmorovich

jmorovich, i'm having the same issue at work. We have a user with an iPhone 4s, he typically has 6,000 contacts, (no, that's not a typo) however since moving to an iPhone using ActiveSync in December, his contacts have been growing exponentially. They got up to 150,000 before last week when it took us two days to manually delete all the contacts from his exchange account, find a backup of his contacts, (which was at 40,000), run a de-duplicating program and got back to the original 6,000 contacts. (give or take a hundred) Everything seemed fine from the 22nd to the 25th of Feb at which point the duplication began again and as of this morning he was almost at 200,000 contacts!!!! The duplication stops when we either turn off the iphone or erase the email/activesync account from the iPhone. We have many other users on iPhones using the same set up, but none of them seem to have this issue. (i'm going to go back now and see how many contacts they have in their contact lists to see if it comes close the the 1,500 mentioned above) Any further information anyone could post here would be fantastic.

Feb 28, 2012 4:59 AM in response to Ludwig77

Unfortunatly Apple has buried their head in the sand in regards to this issue. I have emailed and called the tech who originally worked on this with me over 2 months ago and have not gotten any response back. I've even posted a new topic in this forum which better explains the problem, yet have not gotten any response. Your best (and only) option for this user is switching them to a droid. My user has been moved to an HTC, which is having no problems handling his now 8,000 contacts.

Apple made a change in IOS5 in the way they handle contacts (which they won't admit). For the normal user it's transparent. For power business users it's crippling and causing a shift to a different device.

GOOD LUCK!!

Mar 20, 2012 9:16 AM in response to jmorovich

I experienced a similar issue with several iPhone 4s devices at my firm. This was a few months ago but I believe it was iCloud contact syncing. One user in particular had both an iPhone and iPad, and had created his iCould account using his firm email account. We noticed the Outlook contacts folder growing exponentially and once we disabled the iCloud service, it stopped. We purchased a separate utility to remove all of the duplicate contacts. Not sure if this would apply for your situation but just something to think about.

J

Mar 21, 2012 11:27 AM in response to jasoni

Thanks for the response. iCloud was turned off on this device (and all replacement ones) as soon as they were activated. I never even gave it a chance to cause any issues. I wish that was the case here.

I have now heard of a couple other users with the exact same problem listed above. Over 6,000 contacts that begin to expand and grow into the hundreds of thousands at times after connecting to Exchange. At some point Apple is going to address this problem. I'm guessing it is going to take more than a couple people complaining about it though. If I could I would take one of his old iPhone's and move it back to IOS4. That would be the only way to correct this issue.

I was hoping it was going to be addressed in the 5.1 release, but they were more focused on other important issues like adding the Japanese language to Siri. Oh well....

Mar 21, 2012 1:42 PM in response to jmorovich

As a follow up to my initail post, I ended up wiping the iPhone, installing iOS 5.0.1 again (this was before 5.1 came out), as a new phone. I didn't use the "restore" from a previous backup option, I just set it up as new and at the iCloud prompt, I skipped the set up and we haven't had the same issue since. For what it's worth....

Mar 26, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Ludwig77

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. As of 3 days ago, same user, same issue, duplicate contacts went from 6000 to 120,000 from Friday to Monday. iCloud sync is completely disabled and he never used Mobile Me. I have no idea what is causing this and cannot prevent it from happening. jmorovich, I'm with you, if I could revert to iOS4, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Mar 26, 2012 10:28 AM in response to Ludwig77

Sorry to hear that. My experiences are similar to that. It would be good for a day or two and then all **** would break loose on the phone/exchange server.

Like I've said before. This is clearly an IOS 5 issue that Apple will not address. I talked to a couple other users over the weekend and they also have the same problem with no response from Apple.

If anyone hears of anything PLEASE put an update here. The user I have with the issue is working with no problem at all on the Droid. If your user is frustrated that might be the only option until Apple decides to address this issue.

GOOD LUCK!

Apr 3, 2012 7:27 AM in response to jmorovich

I had the same problem with one of my user, his devices and computers were, Outlook 2011 for mac in macbook air, Blackberry device 9780 running under on-premises BES server, iPhone 4S, and iPad2, his contact were around 4,000 and everything was ok when he was on iPhone 4 and iPad, mess started when he switched to iPhone 4S and iPad 2 (iOS 5.0.1) his contacts went to around 50,000 till I stopped all the synced device and tested each and every device and computer that were in his use with the result that iOS 5.1 devices in use were suspicious, I suffered like for 4-5 months so as the user ( he is the boss :-) ),, then I shifted him to Samsung Galaxy Note running Gingerbread 2.3.6 i believe and shut iOS device to see what happens then?, well it's been one month passed and everything is going good, I contacted apple, microsoft and so many other vendors and software manufacturers to get the clue but didn't get the satisfactorily answers besides the apple forum there all the victims of duplicates and multiplicates contacts has the opinion that iOS5.x.x has bugs which apple should fix whereas, apple is completely silent..... I think they know the problem but aren't getting way out to fix this issue.

Apr 3, 2012 7:52 AM in response to zubairfromnull

It's a shame but until Apple decides to own up that there is a problem with IOS5 and fix it the only option for power users like the one's we support is for them to go to droids.

Even that isn't pain free on this end. When you have a user who has been on an iPhone for 3 years and is suddenly forced to go to a droid you constantly get the "Well the droid is good but...." comparisons to the iPhone.

This user desperatly wants to move back to the iPhone, but the fact there hasn't been any movement on this and no acknowledgement makes me wonder if he will ever get to move back. The next issue I have is that I have 5-6 other users we are getting ready to move off of blackberry's with the same amount of contacts. The move in the past would have been to a iPhone, but given the issues with IOS5 they will have to move to a droid unless this is corrected shortly.

Active Sync Issues with Exchange Contacts and iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.