Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some fancy Aperture workspace options, in pictures.

(Note: I am running 3.2.2 on 10.6.8 using modest hardware (13" MBP {5.5}). I have never experienced any problems with these workspaces, even with large (30,000 RAW Masters) and very large (300,000 JPGs) Libraries. I suggest trying all this on a practice Library first.)

"{Option}+click" a second container in the Library tab of the Inspector to show two Browsers.

User uploaded file

Type "v" to change to Split View. This adds a Viewer to the workspace. The Viewer will display any selected Image(s).

User uploaded file

You can rotate the Browsers, swap both Browser and Inspector positions, and resize all panes.

You can also change the Image size in either Browser, independently.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

"{Option}+{Command}+click" an item in the Library tab of the Inspector to add it as a second (or third) tab to the currently selected Browser.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 G / 500 G internal / 5 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Pho

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 12:34 PM

7 replies

Jan 11, 2012 1:26 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hello Kirby,

thank you so much for sharing that impressive discovery with us.

I've always been longing for a way to browse multiple items at once.

Unfortunately, it does not work this way on both my Lion MBPs(13" and 17"); both machines stall, when I try to close one of the tabs in split view with the film strips at the bottom of the window; one tab closes, and Aperture hangs.

I've tried it two times now, after force quitting, repairing the library, trashing preferences, in two accounts on both machines.

Could somebody please confirm if this works on Lions as well as on Snow Leopard?

To close the tabs, I click the little cross in the left corner of the tab, and then, after closing the tab, Aperture just hangs, Activity viewer empty ..

Regards, Léonie

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2012 1:33 PM in response to léonie

Ugh. I hope it's not a Lion-versal.

If you want to trouble-shoot a little, what happens if you use Grid View in the Browsers, instead of Filmstrip View?

Re: browsing multiple items. Sad to report, switching to Projects View wipes out the workspace. Afaik, there is no way to save a workspace, nor to incorporate Projects View and any of the "fancy" workspaces. I would use the context-sensitive menu command "Show in Project in additional Browser" ten hundred times a week.

(Added:)

That's how I close tabs. Works as expected, and with no hangs or delay. Close the last tab, and the Browser closes. (There is no "x" for the last tab of the last Browser.)

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jan 11, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

If you want to trouble-shoot a little, what happens if you use Grid View in the Browsers, instead of Filmstrip View?

Grid View seems to work well - thanks for the hint, Kirby; good to know.

It's only when I add a viewer and then close one of the tabs, that Aperture stalls.

I'll try it tomorrow on my iMac in the office, also a Lion system.

Some fancy Aperture workspace options, in pictures.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.