Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help Upgrading from iphone 3G to 4S

I am upgrading from an iphone 3G to a 4S. The 4S has not arrived yet so I don't have serial number and cannot contact tech support. The 3G is not bootable and can not be restored without wiping out its data. However, the 3G has been synced with iTunes. How can I be sure to get iphone data safely transfered to 4S?

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 1:15 PM

7 replies

Jan 11, 2012 2:07 PM in response to wjosten

The only difficulty I see with your upgrade process is that my new carrier is different from the old one. The instructions in the link you gave says that this is designed for when the carriers are the same. Please advise how to handle this when they are different.

My other question pertains to the backup selection. If I connect my new iphone 4s to itunes, will itunes offer me the option to do a restore on this new phone or is there some other step involved. If it allows me to do the restore, will I need to navigate to the location of the previous backup? I'm not sure where that backup is located on my hard drive so it would help me to have some clarity about that.

Lastly, my previous iphone 3G was unlocked and jailbroken so please take this into account. I had some apps that were connected with Cydia. I realize that these apps will no longer function with the new 4S. Will they just be discarded in the process or do I need to delete them manually.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Howard

Jan 11, 2012 2:12 PM in response to Freedomcoach

Changing carriers does not matter. The thing that matters is you've jailbroken your phone. Thus, DO NOT use that backup to restore to your new phone...you'll be asking for trouble if you try. Instead, get the data you need from your 3G into supported applications on your computer, setup your new phone as "new", then sync the data to your 4S.

Jan 11, 2012 7:33 PM in response to wjosten

Thanks for the warning about the jailbreak. I suspected this could be an issue which is why I posted this inquiry. This leads me to several additional questions which are:

How do I tell iTunes that the 4s is a new iphone and not to restore it from old backup? Will it give me that option when I connect the phone the first time?

How do I locate the data from the old phone and make sure that it is safely transfered to the new one? This is the critical question.

How do I sync the old data to the new phone without messing it up with jailbroken apps and data?

All help appreciated.

Sincerely,

Howard

Jan 12, 2012 2:15 AM in response to Freedomcoach

How do I tell iTunes that the 4s is a new iphone and not to restore it from old backup? Will it give me that option when I connect the phone the first time?

When you first connect your 4S, you'll be given the option of restoring from backup or setting up as new.

How do I locate the data from the old phone and make sure that it is safely transfered to the new one? This is the critical question.

Exactly what data are you concerned about...contacts, calendars & iTunes content should already be in supported applications on your computer...thus a simple matter to sync to your new phone.

Jan 12, 2012 4:12 PM in response to wjosten

I'm concerned with all the data from my old iphone, contacts, text messages, emails, music, recordings of voice memos, paypal, skype, linkedin, wells fargo, and on and on. I have no idea where this data is stored on my mac.

Of course email is easy and music will be synced from my itunes but the rest will not unless i know where it lives on my mac and exactly HOW to get my Itunes to sync it with the new iphone. There is no clear or prescribed way to do what you are saying and I cannot risk losing this data.

What danger do you believe there is in telling iTunes to restore my old iphone data? Do you really think the jailbroken apps and data will corrupt the phone?

Also, if I tell iTunes to consider my 4s as a new phone, don't I run the danger of losing all the old data? Itunes may just wipe it out thinking it is no longer needed!! I cannot risk this. I need to preserve my old data.

Howard

Need Help Upgrading from iphone 3G to 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.