9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 11:47 AM by Yarramalong
Yarramalong Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)

I have a simple problem: Final Cut Pro X crashes immediately after displaying the main window. Even after numerous new starts of the computer and deleting the preferences, it will not start. What else can I do?

Thanks for helping.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 10 GB
  • Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,275 points)

Exactly how did you delete the preferences?

• Yarramalong Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)

By hand! Should I use a tool for it?

• BROOKLYNTREEZ Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)

You have a corrupt event or project. Remove all events and projects from folders and add them one by one until you see the crash again. That's the corrupt file.

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,275 points)

I meant, which files did you delete as there are 2?

Click this link to see them.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-16724581-52773/pre fs.jpg

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 5 Level 5 (6,820 points)

There may be a simpler solution.

In my experience, render files becoming corrupted can cause crashes at startup.

Rather than deleting preferences or moving projects or events, try just deleting render files (or moving them to a different folder). Since render files will be recreated when needed, this is less disruptive than moving events or projects around.

Note: if you can notice from the splash screen which is the culprit event, you may try and delete render files for that event only.

The render files for each event lie in a folder called "Render Files", inside the folder for that event (which is inside the "Final Cut Events" folder).

You may just drag it to the root of the hard drive, for example, and see if FCP X then starts ok. If it does, just trash these render files, since they will be recreated appropriately.

Message was edited by: Luis Sequeira1

Yes, both have been deleted. When I launch FCP X again, only one of them is restored, and also a lockfile is generated.Snapz Pro XScreenshot046.png

Thank you for this proposal. Unfortunately, I cannot follow it because I have around 300 events, and all folder have the same name so that one cannot put them in the same location. On the other hand, all folders with render files have been removed from the events folder together with the events.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (110,190 points)

Get Event Manager X to control your events. Surely you don't need 300 events at one time.

Sure, if I manage to launch the application. Those 300 events have been generated by importing my footage from iMovie and iTunes to FCP X. I am fully innocent. I hated the lousy look of the lists.

Thanks for the idea to buy Event Manager X.